1997 Vortec, Wanting a better fuel efficient cam while increasing low end torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking for a cam where I just increase low end torque and some mpgs. I know I wont get a lot but I don't plan on going crazy. Its my daily. Just want something that is a bit above stock and doesn't really need a computer tune or headwork. Im sure this thread has been talked about lots of time but I just want it Barney style. Straight and to the point. No I don't want a ls swap.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not to argue just genuinely curious, but is it even possible to swap cams in a Vortec without a tune afterwards?

SNOMAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive read that you can, but to get the best out of the cam it is recommended to get a computer tune, which is what I plan on doing anyways.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will have better mpg and torque gains by tuning the computer than swapping a cam.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both will deliver excellent results. Personally I went with Black Bear Performance and I'm very happy I did.