1997 Sierra diesel - battery leads came off while driving - no electrics - what's fried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 Half ton - Sierra - Diesel - Coming into work - down a long logging road - I was coming down the final hill and suddenly all the dashboard lights went out and I had limited control.
Freewheeling down a hill. Very scary.
Managed to stop and looked under the hood. The battery leads had come off the front right battery. Reattached the leads - no motor action sounds.

Anything else?

Any advice appreciated.

If nothing else has turned up so far, then according to this wiring diagram you
should double-check Fuse 24 "4WD", because it feeds power to the Auxiliary
Battery relay.

Now this wiring diagram is only of interest IF we were to assume the
following:

1) That the front left battery was weak & unknown to the driver.

2) Fuse 24 (4WD) blew, and we lost power to the control side of the
AUX battery relay. Now the driver's side (front right) battery is no longer
connected to the load.

3) Without the good battery in circuit, we have the current malfunction noted
by the OP.

Alternately, the fusible link between the driver's side (Auxiliary) battery and the load
has opened.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just a troubleshooting theory to draw upon if everything else up to this point
checks out good.

Let us know what you got --

Last edited:

davidzeballos

Reaction score
Problem solved. I had to juice up each battery individually so they could hold a sufficient charge to move the vehicle. That both leads had come off the battery terminals - the guy who got the truck going said it was quite likely I had tightened the nuts too tight - the bolts were old and rather fragile and had sheared enough that and that they shook loose enough over the very bumpy roads. He reccomended using 'threadstick' if I wasn't about to replace the bolts. Phew. I can make it back to smooth roads, home for the weekend and someplace I can buy 'threadstick'. Careening down a logging road with limited control used up life #16. Thanks for the support. Will be back on this forum.

davidzeballos

Reaction score
Day 2 - saga
The truck was juiced on both batteries yesterday at noon.
It was parked in front of my place. The friend tried starting it once more after he had parked it. It started.
At 4 pm I went to start it but it would not start. The lights would come on but the engine would not engage.
Another friend juiced both batteries separately with jumper cables from his vehicle.
We had tried just juicing the front right - if you are looking at it with the hood up facing the vehicle. It would not start.
Only after we juiced the front left did it start.
I then spent 3/4 of an hour driving it at 50-70 kms per hour down a long straight logging road to charge up the batteries in preparation for driving home today.
Turned everything off and turned in for the evening.

At 7:45 this morning, I got in the truck, turned the key - all the lights came on but the engine would not engage.

I will have to get it juiced again this afternoon to get it moving so I can drive out to town and turn it over to a mechanic. I don't think BCAA will tow it down logging roads.

Questions?
1. The batteries are about two years old and were new when I bought them. Could it still be the batteries and should I try replacing them?
2. If the vehicle started after being juiced up with jumper cables can I rule out the starter?
3. If the vehicle started after being juiced up with jumper cables can I rule out the alternator?
4. How likely it is just some old wire (1997 GMC) shorting out.

thanks for all your support and suggestions up to now

david

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Batteries have "charge" not "juice".

At 4 pm I went to start it but it would not start. The lights would come on but the engine would not engage...
...Only after we juiced the front left did it start.
FULLY charge BOTH of the batteries, which may take a low-amperage battery charger on each one, overnight or longer. AFTER the batteries have been disconnected from the charger for at least one hour, they should show 12.6--12.7 volts. Less voltage than that is "still not fully charged" or "battery defective".
(Immediately after charging, the battery may show 13+ volts.)

I then spent 3/4 of an hour driving it at 50-70 kms per hour down a long straight logging road to charge up the batteries in preparation for driving home today.
Almost a waste of time and fuel. Alternators are not intended to charge deeply-discharged batteries. They're intended to maintain a reasonably-charged battery needing only a "top-off" charge after starter motor use.

1. The batteries are about two years old and were new when I bought them. Could it still be the batteries and should I try replacing them?
Try properly and completely CHARGING them. Not a friggin' "jump-start, drive around some, and hope for the best".

A "real" load-test is recommended on both batteries, which will require specialized tools you don't have. The batteries may--or may not--still be in acceptable condition after charging.

Some--maybe most--automotive parts stores will halfazz "test" batteries using a hand-held "analyzer" with printout. That does not measure actual battery capacity, it measures resistance, or capacitance by playing Van Halen into the battery to see if it submits. The batteries may have to be carried-into the store. This is better than nothing.

2. If the vehicle started after being juiced up with jumper cables can I rule out the starter?
We ruled-out the starter from Post 1. It wasn't in the circuit when the failure occurred. IF the starter is defective, it was defective before the truck stalled on you.

3. If the vehicle started after being juiced up with jumper cables can I rule out the alternator?
No. Moderate chance it's damaged, perhaps with shorted diodes that drain the batteries.

Ehhh...probably not. CHARGE THE BATTERIES, clean the battery terminals to shiny metal, install proper battery cables of 4-gauge minimum instead of the broken-junk cables you have now, and see what happens.

Around here, parts stores stock flimsy 6-gauge battery cables which are NOT sufficient. 4-gauge seems to be the OEM size, and lotsa guys upgrade to 2 gauge or larger. (Larger than 2-gauge is unneeded.)

Testing the alternator and batteries, verifying the other battery cables, assure that there's no parasitic drain, etc., is recommended.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Day 2 - saga
It was parked in front of my place. The friend tried starting it once more after he had parked it. It started.
At 4 pm I went to start it but it would not start. The lights would come on but the engine would not engage.
Another friend juiced both batteries separately with jumper cables from his vehicle.
We had tried just juicing the front right - if you are looking at it with the hood up facing the vehicle. It would not start.
Only after we juiced the front left did it start.
Turned everything off and turned in for the evening.

At 7:45 this morning, I got in the truck, turned the key - all the lights came on but the engine would not engage.

I will have to get it juiced again this afternoon to get it moving so I can drive out to town and turn it over to a mechanic. I don't think BCAA will tow it down logging roads.

Questions?

thanks for all your support and suggestions up to now

david

Sir,

1) You really need to have each battery individually LOAD TESTED. Checking the
battery voltage is a first step, but a tired/wounded battery can give you a false good reading.
(ie: 12V with no load, but can't sustain the voltage under any appreciable load.)

2) The insides of a battery is comprised of + plates tied to the POS terminal, interleaved
with - plates tied to the NEG terminal. And these plates are submerged in electrolyte.

Why do I bring this up? Well, reading between the lines your batteries are regularly
subjected to severe physical hammering while driving to the jobsite. It's not unheard of
that this kind of severe service leads to plate material being shed and depositing on the
bottom of each cell. Enough deposits = shorting between the pos & neg plates...and you
end up with a battery that discharges itself. (One of more 'dead cells')

3) As for your dual battery setup only being 'jump startable' off of one battery? I would
investigate this, for it shouldn't matter which battery you jump to, for they are wired in
parallel. (same 12v total supplied to the truck but twice the amperage) By the way, is
the battery that you couldn't jump start to the same battery that you initially discovered
had somehow disconnected itself?

For what it's worth, all us gas-powered GMT400 owners only have the passenger side (front left)
battery in place. The additional Auxiliary battery that you diesel guys get is the one on the
driver's side. (front right) The only reason you need to know this is when you are trying
to figure out why the Auxiliary battery isn't helping. (Referring to the schematic in reply #11
above.)

Batteries aren't quite as fragile as fine china, but at the same time you might be flirting with
the limits of what they can sustain on a long-term basis during your daily commute. :0)
If you are working with a good mechanic, they should be able to deep charge/load test
both batteries, make sure that the batteries aren't self-discharging due to bad cells/internal
damage, and also check the rest of the truck for any parasitic electrical draws that can flatten
even good batteries overnight if they are bad enough.

The good news is that none of this is magic, just attention to some details.

Let us know what you eventually find. Best of luck!

The bottom line is that sounds like you have a wounded warrior that needs a good mechanic
to check it out.

Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A "real" load-test is recommended on both batteries, which will require specialized tools you don't have. The batteries may--or may not--still be in acceptable condition after charging.

Some--maybe most--automotive parts stores will halfazz "test" batteries using a hand-held "analyzer" with printout. That does not measure actual battery capacity, it measures resistance, or capacitance by playing Van Halen into the battery to see if it submits. The batteries may have to be carried-into the store. This is better than nothing.

@davidzeballos, this is a really important point that most normal folks are not aware of.

A real load tester makes use of a carbon pile in order to monitor the battery voltage while
it's being forced to do real work
. With any luck your mechanic is still using a carbon pile load
tester. If he's a traditionalist, he'll have something like what's pictured at the end of this reply.
(SUN VAT-40)

Unfortunately, a lot of places have been talked into using small handheld 'load testers' which,
as Schurkey pointed out, rely upon electronic hokus-pocus to check a battery while it isn't
being forced to any work at all? The theory sounds good when you read about it...but I have had these
new style testers lie to my face, and it makes my inner troubleshooter sad. :0)

Hope all this helps. We're trying to get your hard-working GMT400 to return to being a
faithful commuter for ya.

Attachments

• SUN VAT-40 load tester.jpg
    SUN VAT-40 load tester.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 2