1997 Chevrolet k1500. Transmission troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
with the right know how and all the right parts the job could be done in a day and three-quarters some people that are really good can do it in one day but yes it is a lot of work

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
with the right know how and all the right parts the job could be done in a day and three-quarters some people that are really good can do it in one day but yes it is a lot of work
My family is not good with transmissions. I can rebuild engines but. Dad killed our burban at 188,000 miles. Said it neutraled out no grinding nothing fluid didnt smell burnt. I have the know how on engines transmissions are beyond me.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoping fixing the grounds may be enough to work. Idk
I have had the same intermittent hard shifting issue.

Since I replaced the two battery ground cables and improved the battery to body ground connection, the hard shifting has gone away. The one exception to that was when my negative battery terminal was a bit loose, the hard shifting returned. I tightened it up, and it went back to its normal self. So far so good.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had the same intermittent hard shifting issue.

Since I replaced the two battery ground cables and improved the battery to body ground connection, the hard shifting has gone away. The one exception to that was when my negative battery terminal was a bit loose, the hard shifting returned. I tightened it up, and it went back to its normal self. So far so good.
It just occurred to me that I should mention that I also replaced the ignition switch, based on @tayto ’s suggestion, as a means of addressing my transmission woes - which included an occasional failure to upshift.

I’m not sure if a new switch would affect your hard shifting or not. It might be worth keeping in mind. But I’m pretty sure that a solid ground made a difference in mine.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I should mention that I also replaced the ignition switch, based on @tayto ’s suggestion, as a means of addressing my transmission woes - which included an occasional failure to upshift.

I’m not sure if a new switch would affect your hard shifting or not. It might be worth keeping in mind. But I’m pretty sure that a solid ground made a difference in mine.
So far i cleaned 2 of the grounds the frame to chassis and battery neg to chassis. So far no hard shifts(so far) only drove it 7 miles to work. Didnt fix obd2 but thats to be expected.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
that sounds good if it drives nice going home from work it might be fixed but only time will tell the battery should have a small ground going to the inner fender and the negative battery cable should be on the front of the engine block or the frame I think would you like some threads on upgrading the electrical system

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
that sounds good if it drives nice going home from work it might be fixed but only time will tell the battery should have a small ground going to the inner fender and the negative battery cable should be on the front of the engine block or the frame I think would you like some threads on upgrading the electrical system
Yea i cleaned that ground at the inner fender. It was painted here is a pic

sure i would love to look at them. Thank you
You must be registered for see images attach