1997 5.7L Direct Drive or Gear Reduction starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ What he said.

Mini-starters need metric-shank bolts, but the threads in the block are SAE 3/8-16. The bolts have a step between the larger shank and the smaller threaded area.
Photo 1. Genuine GM and aftermarket ARP mini-starter bolts. http://hbassociates.us/Delco_PG260_Bolts_01.jpg
You must be registered for see images attach

Photo 2. GM bolts having stepped knurl to locate the starter housing to the block. http://hbassociates.us/Delco_PG260_Bolts_02.jpg
You must be registered for see images attach

The GM bolts are not horribly expensive. ARP mini-starter bolts are actually not as nice, and double or triple the price of the GM stuff.

GM put heat shields on the mini-starter solenoids and the big starters solenoids for a reason. Make certain that the starter has a heat shield on it when you put it back in. Some of those heat shields also protect the knock sensor wire harness from exhaust heat, too.

My '97 needed wire-harness surgery. The "purple" (fades to pink over time) wire that goes to the "S" terminal had terrible corrosion on the lowest ~18 inches. I had to splice in fresh wire to get enough power to the "S" terminal for the starter to work right.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^ What he said.

Mini-starters need metric-shank bolts, but the threads in the block are SAE 3/8-16. The bolts have a step between the larger shank and the smaller threaded area.
Photo 1. Make certain that the starter has a heat shield on it when you put it back in. Some of those heat shields also protect the knock sensor wire harness from exhaust heat, too.

My '97 needed wire-harness surgery. The "purple" (fades to pink over time) wire that goes to the "S" terminal had terrible corrosion on the lowest ~18 inches. I had to splice in fresh wire to get enough power to the "S" terminal for the starter to work right.

What if you dont have the heat shield anymore. what are the options?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
What if you dont have the heat shield anymore. what are the options?
Don't know for sure if it's available from GM or aftermarket. I'd look at the wrecking yard next time you go. I'm putting that part on my yard list; not sure where the one for my Burb is in the mess of my shop.....
Edit: Schurkey is 100% right on the bolts. They are different for the different types of starter. And if improperly tightened or the wrong bolts are used, they'll bend. Or even break off in the block, or crack/break the starter mounting surface of the block. Worked on a few trucks that this happened to.....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I bought a new OEM heatshield from Rockauto, and it matched my original exactly. Unfortunately, it didn't fit the new AC Delco Professional starter. I've been running without it, but I don't live in the heat of TX or AZ.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score