1997 5.7L Direct Drive or Gear Reduction starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Starter "wraps" or "blankets" will be as good at keeping heat IN the starter as they are at keeping heat OFF the starter.

GM and I prefer a metal heat-shield with an air gap to the starter, so that the starter cools normally, but is protected from exhaust heat.

I suspect the wraps may also hold moisture.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the heat is coming from the heaader/manifold, not so much from the engine, so why not?
Starter "wraps" or "blankets" will be as good at keeping heat IN the starter as they are at keeping heat OFF the starter.
Maybe their thinking is the heat is coming from the exhaust, not so much from the engine area? When standing still with engine off, there's not much air flow around it anyway.

GM and I prefer a metal heat-shield with an air gap to the starter, so that the starter cools normally, but is protected from exhaust heat.
GM will do whatever is the cheapest. LOL.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 Express van and 99 Tahoe both had PMGR starters. Both are still on the OEM starters. Both crank the engines effortlessly. The 11:1 383 in the Express and the 496 big block in the Tahoe. Both have headers and both have DEI heat wraps. Not concerned about the heat the starter makes in the ~1/4 turn of the flexplate it takes to start the engine but definately concerned about the heat of the headers that often glow under sustained heavy load inches away.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the heat is coming from the heaader/manifold, not so much from the engine, so why not?
It's not the heat of the engine that's a problem.

It's the two hundred amperes of electrical power going through the starter.

Yes, if the engine starts right away it won't cause problems. If the cranking time is excessive, that electrical power turns the starter into electric space-heater.

One of the major advantages of the PMGR starters is that they draw less current than the old "straight-through" starters. Less current, less heat.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 Express van and 99 Tahoe both had PMGR starters. Both are still on the OEM starters. Both crank the engines effortlessly. The 11:1 383 in the Express and the 496 big block in the Tahoe. Both have headers and both have DEI heat wraps. Not concerned about the heat the starter makes in the ~1/4 turn of the flexplate it takes to start the engine but definately concerned about the heat of the headers that often glow under sustained heavy load inches away.
I think what Shurkey (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not trying to speak for you) is referring to is once the starter becomes heat soaked regardless of the source of heat, a wrap will keep the heat in where a shield will allow cool air to actually remove heat from it. Even with a heat wrap, the headers can pass heat through it if the engine is running for long enough, the starter will absorb more heat than it can shed through this layer. With the shield there's convection that will pull heat from the starter while it's moving that wouldn't occur with a wrap. Becomes relevant in hot environments where you drive for a while then start the engine again.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gear reduction starters are the new, high tech alternative that beats the stuffing out of the old stuff. There's no downside to a gear reduction starter except the price. That flimsy metal shield got thrown away by a lot of idiots, but it's well worth putting on. My Suburban had the gear reduction with shield, and I wish my Stepside had them. If the starter ever goes out, a gear reduction is going in. Hell, I put one on my Cadillac-powered Jaguar. The old Caddy starters are f'n massive. The car lost ten pounds just replacing the starter!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Gear reduction starters are the new, high tech alternative that beats the stuffing out of the old stuff. There's no downside to a gear reduction starter except the price. That flimsy metal shield got thrown away by a lot of idiots, but it's well worth putting on. My Suburban had the gear reduction with shield, and I wish my Stepside had them. If the starter ever goes out, a gear reduction is going in. Hell, I put one on my Cadillac-powered Jaguar. The old Caddy starters are f'n massive. The car lost ten pounds just replacing the starter!
Yes the smaller, lighter starter does make a difference when you have to pick it up and hold it up till the bolts get started!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and the higher failure rate.
I haven't seen it. I think the lesser heat counteracts the fragility of the gear mechanism.

Yes the smaller, lighter starter does make a difference when you have to pick it up and hold it up till the bolts get started!
Years ago I was installing the all-motor starter in my Cadillac, and it was work. I'd been struggling with it, and my arms were dead. I had the starter wedged nearly in place and couldn't get it the rest of the way in. I let my arms down to rest for a second, and the starter picked that moment to fall out - landing square on my front teeth and upper lip. I had my first date with my wife that evening. My lip was so fat I couldn't go in for a kiss. She married me anyways.