1997 5.7L Direct Drive or Gear Reduction starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I have a Remy Gear Reduction starter i bought on RockAuto for my K3500 5.7 truck. It has lasted over a year so far. The amount of torque it has to spin the engine over is insane. I just turn the key and the engine is practically already running. I also upgraded to 1/0 gauge cables and converted to dual group 34 (top post) batteries so that may have had something to do with it, but I have had NO issues with my starter so far. I drove from East Texas to Colorado once (~1200 mile trip) and it worked just fine after that.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gear reduction is far from new technology, Chrysler been doing it since 50s. On the dyno we have started 14;1 434 small blocks with a factory gear reduction off a 99 5.7. Only downside ive ever had with them is getting the spacing right, usually they are to far from flywheel and need spacer in outside bolt only. We milled .030 off the mount and made them perfect. One on my 96 been on there 7yr done same way