1996 K2500 NV4500 - shudder when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've been looking all over the Internet and the only person I've found experiencing something similar has a 1990 Miata.

My truck, when warm, has developed a shudder on take off. I've noticed it in 1st, 2nd, and reverse. It has been getting worse and today could not climb the approach into a gas station in 1st gear without shuddering like crazy.

This truck has 4:10 gears, the 5.7 engine and a nv4500.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? If so, any thoughts about what I'm dealing with?

Thanks for the help!

Jacob

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah on the clutch. And, add the throwout bearing, clutch release arm, tranny snout, tranny input bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel, and oil on the clutch.
The flywheel can be surfaced.
Most of the above parts are typical clutch service items.
If high mileage, could be a failing transmission or leaking seal from engine rear main or tranny input..
Verify that the motor and trans mounts are not broken. And verify that the transmission isn't loose.
U-joints should be inspected.
All of the above describes "clutch chatter"...if 4x4, could be TC case. That would not typically be a "hot" only issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Thanks for your insights guys. I've got a follow up question. The truck has 155,000 miles on it. I'm thinking it would make sense to do the rear main while I'm in there. I've looked all over and can't seem to find if I need to remove the oil pan or not to replace the rear main seal. Do any of you know?

Thanks again,

Jacob

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1996 has a one piece seal, so no. It's a PITA to change, but the pan doesn't touch it. That said, be sure that the pan gasket is not leaking too. If original, it might be dry.
If you have the orig clutch, thst service is due. Don't take short cuts on the clutch. Do it all, with quality parts and pray.
If you find soft, oiled trans mount, replace it.
Don't booger up the crank seal mating surfaces.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk