1996 GMC Suburban "Kaye"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
That's interesting so they turn on when the doors open?
Yes, I did a half ass job on it though, while they did come in with the doors open, I didn’t go through the effort to make them work with the map light buttons (so in order to turn them on, I had to turn on all of the interior lights) but when I install one in my current truck, I’ll put forth the effort to have them work both ways like the newer cars.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a set of taillights I've been after, been passively looking for a set of smoked euro tail lights since I bought her. They're similar to the ones on my Stepside except smooth.
I was going to get the same tail lights that are on the Stepside since I haven't been able to find these but I finally found a set.
You must be registered for see images attach

Though about getting the smoked chrome version but I wasn't sure how they'd look on the burb.

Messed around with putting different bulbs in my headlights for fun tonight, got some comparison shots.
Normal 9006 and 9005's
Low beams

High beams

My old 6000k LED 9006 & 9005's I spent awhile trying to get to sit straight.
Low beams

High beams

The LED's didn't do as bad as they did in my Stepside with the old housings interestingly.

9005's modified to run in the low beams.
Low beams

High beams

I might run the LEDs in my high beams for the back roads until I get a 4 high harness, HD harness, and better halogens. Not really sure the point of this, but science!

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that set of tail lights didn't pan out, the seller sent me a message saying the lights were busted in the box. Kinda bummed but I did find a set of corner lights so I'll be sticking with the GMC grille for a while. I bought the same tail lights as my Stepside but in smoked chrome, the front end is going to have chrome lights so I figured why not, can always return them for the smoked black ones if I don't like them.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that set of tail lights didn't pan out, the seller sent me a message saying the lights were busted in the box. Kinda bummed but I did find a set of corner lights so I'll be sticking with the GMC grille for a while. I bought the same tail lights as my Stepside but in smoked chrome, the front end is going to have chrome lights so I figured why not, can always return them for the smoked black ones if I don't like them.

Least he was honest and didnt send them anyway lol. Its sucks though. I hear you. I ordered headlights from topgearautosport.com. few days later they called me and said they didnt have it in stock.... they offered to pay for shipping and apologized. I had them update the website to show 0 were in stock

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painted the GMC emblem black on my quest to spruce up the front end and remove all the different colors. The front end should be done around Christmas minus the billet insert.

I thought I had 2 cans of Plasti dip, turns out 1 was empty and the other was almost empty. The can was spitting so I couldn't get the finish I would have like, but it came out pretty good considering.

I wanted to remove the rear GMC Truck emblem but there would be a line where it was taped around when she was resprayed. I'll end up taping off around the GMC and painting it black as well. The bottom is going to get redone at some point, the black is chipping off showing the gold and I would like to redo the trim. I need to lower this thing before I get more ideas lol.

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to take my roof rack off, that went worse than expected. 5 of the 8 bolts snapped off on the driver side, some in the roof and some below the head, the threads were quite rusted. I didn't bother with the passenger side since it's more than likely just as bad, I put the rest of the bolts back in and now the roof rack is a project for another day.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried to take my roof rack off, that went worse than expected. 5 of the 8 bolts snapped off on the driver side, some in the roof and some below the head, the threads were quite rusted. I didn't bother with the passenger side since it's more than likely just as bad, I put the rest of the bolts back in and now the roof rack is a project for another day.

That's crazy. Whenever you tackle it. Do some penetrating oil and let it soak