1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500... DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it when insurance companies try to claim that something is equivalent. Let me use their logic for a second. Them: That is your 50 year old bottle of scotch. You: No it isn't! That is brand x mouthwash from the dollar store! Them: Well, it is in a bottle, it is old and it does contain alcohol. It is the equivalent.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Did the 88-89 quad lights do better than newer stock lights?

I've had several people ask me to find them some and I finally found some and looked at lcm custom lights and now I'm curious if these would be better than my stock lights being smooth glass with hids.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the 88-89 quad lights do better than newer stock lights?

I've had several people ask me to find them some and I finally found some and looked at lcm custom lights and now I'm curious if these would be better than my stock lights being smooth glass with hids.
With a relay harness mine were just as good as they tyc and hid combo I had. I didn't think they would be anywhere close to comparable but there wasn't much difference. Being able to independently adjust each bulb was nice too.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Here's some of the carnage, I dug into it after a few days too see what all it needed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, it wasn't even off the trailer yet.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time and a little whiskey trying to figure out the best course of action. Rebuild/replace? Rebuild...replace...? I've done quite a bit of work on this truck, as well as the other things that have been done. Rebuilt rear axle with new differential, clutch, rear main seal, engine oil cooler lines...so much more, I have a folder of receipts over 1/2" thick. I could've got everything sheetmetal and plastic needed from local wrecking yards for cheap, bought new radiator, fan clutch, etc. The problem was paint. Paint = $$$. The damn thing is red, red is the devil to match, would blend across most of the adjacent panels. The doors still have gaping holes in them from old mirrors, so if I paint it I should get new doors. Would basically end up painting whole truck. $,$$$...f***. So, the hunt was on for color matched parts. That shade of red was used '94 to '96. Hit up craigslist, search all of the local yards for trucks/suvs in that year. Nada, zip, zero, zilch. Next step, build a list of parts, got prices, estimate paint, total = f***ed. I don't remember who's idea it was...David or mine, but the thought occured to us, can we get a whole truck for around the value of f***ed? Back to CL...after a few misses I went and looked at a truck with David. (Side note: I'm renting a room from David (88GMCtruck) at this time, I relocated for a new job.) I came home with this:

1997 GMC Sierra SLT K1500. Recently replaced motor, rebuilt trans. The person I bought it from...special. I don't think I will be able to adequately describe him using publicly appropriate words, leaving it at that.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did quite a bit of work in the evenings, prepping the two vehicles while leaving them complete enough to drive. Prep work consisting mostly of interior disassembly and front end disassembly. Then it was time, cab + front end swap.

Sufficed to say, I have some damned good friends. On a Friday evening two trucks drove into David's garage (one at a time) and Sunday evening the flatbed drove out. 2.5 days, 4 of us, complete cab swap. The green cab was cut for clutch, NV-4500, BW-4401; received the dash wiring from my dash, my front seats, my carpet.

Drives In

Strip Interior

Chains to furthest (from center) seat bolts, engine hoist. Didn't actually get a pic of red cab coming off, but repeated for green.

Voila

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roll out the flatbed, drive in the donor.

Lift

Roll

Bring in for surgery

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You all can guess how this feels, looking at these two in this state.

If no one has spotted it yet, I am building a truck that GM never did...

Got big stick?

Boo-yah!

Coming together...

Interior

GREEN LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER THAN RED!

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Hm, a 3 door K3500, thats a new one.

Looks good, i'm glad you managed to spring back so quickly.