1996 GMC Basket case Restoration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kraken

Reaction score
First off let me start out by saying I have not officially bought this truck yet, but I plan on getting it as long as the title is clear.

I have had 2 other GMT's one a 1990 GMC 5 speed v6 2wd rclb, and one a 93 auto v6 4x4 rcsb step side. I have always loved the ex cab but i have never had an opportunity to get one.

I have been looking at trucks for a few months planning on getting a 03-06 Silverado, but i kept coming back to OBS's.

A lady at my church told me about this one, long story short, she bought it for her son, he drove it three times, blew the transmission, started "taking it out", has been sitting for a year.

I offered her $500 and she said ok, but she does not have copy of the title in her possession, but she said that its in her name.

Anyway on to the truck.

Its a 1996 GMC 4x4, maybe a z71 but I'm not sure yet. Extra cab step side, with 125,000 miles on the clock.

Its rough, the previous, previous owner did not really take care of it. But, it does have some sort of suspension lift, and a body lift on what look to be 33's or 35's. The body is pretty straight minus the bed being cut, however its spray painted flat black. The interior is just terrible, its really dirty, its been spray painted and "customized."

My plan is to replace the transmission, go through the truck and replace typical ware and tare items, drop about $3,500 worth of new and used parts in it, replace and clean the interior, take off the body lift, get some nice tires and wheels on it, and drive the fire out of it.

Do you guys think it to far gone, do you guys think I'm crazy, is this even a good plan? I keep second guessing myself because I really want a reliable truck, but I don't want a money pit..

Let me know what you guys think. Here are some pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Looks like a solid start to a project.

I don't think you're crazy, I enjoy tinkering with stuff and "saving" these trucks has been a hobby of mine for quite a while. I say, go ahead and get elbow deep into fixing the previous owners screw-up.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Whew....thats in rough shape. But for $500, I'd buy it as long as I recieved the title. No title, then I would pass.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks pretty rough, I'm sure you can get it up and running. But for $500, if it doesn't work out you can grab some parts and scrap it for that much.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like it would make a good project! Just get rid of those rear taillights, they dont match with the rest of the truck.

Kraken

Reaction score
Looks like it would make a good project! Just get rid of those rear taillights, they dont match with the rest of the truck.

One of the first things I'm going to do it swap the taillights.

Im still waiting on the title. So i have to just be patient and wait it out. However this has given me time to get a little game plan in order.

First I'm going to see exactly what is wrong. I'm going to put the transmission back together and see for myself what the problem is. Im going to then shake down the rest of the truck and start replacing broken things, then I'll replace maintenance items, and then I'll start adding accessories, custom touches and whatnot.

Really the plan on this truck is for it to be a nice daily driver so I can actually get some work on my 1st gen 4runner restoration. But, I cant just leave things the way they were.

Im going to probably take the body lift off, get some better wheels and tires, clean and overhaul the interior (mostly keep it stock), replace the bed with one that has not been cut up, give it a "better' paint job, and just generally de-"redneckify" it. Long tern could involve a 5.3 swap, but i really like the 350 vortec, so I'm not sure.

I love obs trucks so I'm really excited to get back into one.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.