1996 GMC K3500 DRW, Extended Cab, Flatbed, 454, NV-4500... DAILY DRIVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Along with finishing freeing the driver's side caliper I have theeeeese to install. Hoping that they help mitigate the coffee disaster that is that damned pull-out abortion in the dash.
You must be registered for see images attach

What is it?

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering, how is your bed's powder coating holding up? I have a Bradford on my truck and I am about to sandblast it down and have it painted, the power coat comes off if you hit it right with the pressure washer, and it is pushing rust through.... dang Illinois winter :nono:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering, how is your bed's powder coating holding up? I have a Bradford on my truck and I am about to sandblast it down and have it painted, the power coat comes off if you hit it right with the pressure washer, and it is pushing rust through.... dang Illinois winter :nono:

Are you familiar with vehicles in the PNW? How good of shape they are in? My '83 still has all of the original paint on the frame and underneath, for example. They don't heavily use salt here, the climate is very nice to vehicles. WELL NOW, this hunk of scrap iron bolted to the back did not get the memo. The coating on my flatbed is peeling off in chunks, some as big as my hand. I was irritated when the bed was purchased in the first place, I think they look like crap, and their "features" are less than useful or well placed. I've seen much nicer looking and more functional ones come out of my Dad's shop (when he has time).

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you familiar with vehicles in the PNW? How good of shape they are in? My '83 still has all of the original paint on the frame and underneath, for example. They don't heavily use salt here, the climate is very nice to vehicles. WELL NOW, this hunk of scrap iron bolted to the back did not get the memo. The coating on my flatbed is peeling off in chunks, some as big as my hand. I was irritated when the bed was purchased in the first place, I think they look like crap, and their "features" are less than useful or well placed. I've seen much nicer looking and more functional ones come out of my Dad's shop (when he has time).

I did not realize you were from around there, I like the look of the bed for my truck at times, but I know I could build one much more functional. The bed coating is junk on mine, I pull it off in strips so it is about to get sandblasted and I think I am going to either paint it or have it painted the same black that is on the bottom of the truck, depends if the body shop guy will paint it when the rockers get done. I have also been considering going to a normal bed because this one is rusting so bad :nono:

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did not realize you were from around there, I like the look of the bed for my truck at times, but I know I could build one much more functional. The bed coating is junk on mine, I pull it off in strips so it is about to get sandblasted and I think I am going to either paint it or have it painted the same black that is on the bottom of the truck, depends if the body shop guy will paint it when the rockers get done. I have also been considering going to a normal bed because this one is rusting so bad :nono:

Yeah, I'm in Washington State. Just updated my profile so it's on there, didn't realize I did not have it on there, oops.

I vote re-coat the flatbed. It is way more useful than the original box, it doesn't have fragile fenders, it's a mobile workbench, it hauls two couches side by side... ;) ...the list could go on. No matter how much I ***** about WTF they must have been thinking in KS, I'd still take it over the pickup box.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in Washington State. Just updated my profile so it's on there, didn't realize I did not have it on there, oops.

I vote re-coat the flatbed. It is way more useful than the original box, it doesn't have fragile fenders, it's a mobile workbench, it hauls two couches side by side... ;) ...the list could go on. No matter how much I ***** about WTF they must have been thinking in KS, I'd still take it over the pickup box.

I hauled 2 couches in my stepside once lol

sent from my outdated S3

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't remember if it was this thread or elsewhere, but tonight I did a more accurate aiming of my headlights...took some pics of the LMC lens output with 4,300k HIDs. I am 20' away from shop doors, centered on the split between the doors (if you look close it's there). I measured low beams and they were 39" off the ground and 28" from center of truck, I placed white thumb tacks in the doors at 38" high and 28" out.

Me, standing, low beams:

Me, crouched down at headlight level, low beams:

Crouched, high only:

Crouched, 4-high: