1996 Chevrolet c1500 obs Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THOBSGTR

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to posting to the site but have owned many GM vehicles and have frequented looking at this site and gmfs for many years. I flip exotic cars as a side business but being a gm truck enthusiast I have been wanting to find a clean example to do and finally was able to come across one. I just picked up this mint, 1 owner black 1996 c1500 Silverado single cab shortbed with the 5.7 vortec, g80 locking diff and 3:42s from a local gentleman who passed away and left his truck to his son in law. Only 51k original miles and super clean/ meticulously maintained. I am really liking this truck- it’s beautiful and in just phenomenal condition, a definite rarity. I purchased it to do a modest cosmetic build to it and then offer it for sale. I figured I would share the truck in it’s stunning current original form and update throughout the build process.. Please let me know your input on what would look best for this build. If anyone would care to give their input I would highly appreciate it and take the comments into consideration throughout the modification process. Thanks !

You must be registered for see images attach

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beautiful truck and a rare gem. Considering the mileage and condition, I'd recommend minimal modifications. A 2/4 drop, mild exhaust and a modern head unit. All would add to the looks of the truck, but could be reversed if needed.

THOBSGTR

Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback and compliments. The all original paint is in phenomenal condition and I plan to get some better pictures this weekend after a little wax.. I too have also thought about keeping it all original, I agree it is tough to want to customize such a pristine example. I think what my plan is is to do just a few things that can be easily reversed if wanted. I plan to lower it just 2/4 so that no frame notch is necessary, and just throw on some wheels and tires. I will also keep the oem wheels and tires as well for that original look and as some would prefer, to swap back at any time.
I was also thinking of keeping the oem housings but swapping in some hid/led headlight bulbs for better night visibility, and possibly some clear corners, a billet bow tie, and a shorter antennae. Just a few minimal things.
Should I leave the chrome trim over the wheel wells?
Should I Tint it or leave it as is?

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really appreciate the feedback and compliments. The all original paint is in phenomenal condition and I plan to get some better pictures this weekend after a little wax.. I too have also thought about keeping it all original, I agree it is tough to want to customize such a pristine example. I think what my plan is is to do just a few things that can be easily reversed if wanted. I plan to lower it just 2/4 so that no frame notch is necessary, and just throw on some wheels and tires. I will also keep the oem wheels and tires as well for that original look and as some would prefer, to swap back at any time.
I was also thinking of keeping the oem housings but swapping in some hid/led headlight bulbs for better night visibility, and possibly some clear corners, a billet bow tie, and a shorter antennae. Just a few minimal things.
Should I leave the chrome trim over the wheel wells?
Should I Tint it or leave it as is?
I'd definitely tint the windows. Wheels would be nice. Preferably 17s. I wouldn't do hid or led lights. The composite housings on these trucks don't lend themselves to retrofitting modern lighting. It'll scatter the pattern and blind the **** out of oncoming traffic. No company has made a solid composite lamp w/hid-led bulbs that work yet last I checked. I'd get the spyder glass housings and some really nice halogen bulbs w/o any coating on the end of the bulbs. I did and have plenty of visibility w/o blinding traffic. I prefer orange corners, but clears wouldn't be no thing. The truck will look great with either. Wax will help the paint, but polish or compound will remove any clear coat scratches that it may have with a DA and pad.