1995 SCSB fixer upper....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy L

Reaction score
With the rear phase of the project done (I hope), I wanted to take a short break. Decided to pull the 5.3 from the 02' Tahoe. Looks easy enough. As with everything, it would have been easier with some help. But with my schedule, I usually don't have any. So, it took a couple days to get it done. I really didn't think it through well enough. Got the engine pulled then had to figure out what to do with it. I decided it needed a dolly. I had some extra 2x2 steel and made a rectangular shaped dolly and put the casters from the bed dolly on it. (I at least did figure I would be using them again on something!). Trouble was the shape was rectangular and when placing it below the engine on the hoist, the front corners made contact with the hoist angled legs and would not go under the engine as far as it needed to. UGHHH. So, I cut it apart and angled the front of the dolly to fit the angle of the hoist legs and waalaa! I modified the Tahoe engine mounts by cutting off the rubber part. That way it bolted to the engine in 4 places and left an almost horizontal mounting surface to put the legs to the front of the dolly. I wanted it high enough to be able to drop the oil pan for a gasket change with good clearance...the pics tell the rest...
You must be registered for see images attach

The donor, 2002 Tahoe wflex fuel 5.3/4L60e runs and drives, about 150K, got it for $1000

Andy L

Reaction score
Here is the motor on the dolly. I have ordered new gaskets for the intake, valve covers, timing cover, oil pan, valley pan with knock sensors and a transmission pan gasket/filter.... It rolls pretty easy but is heavy. At least the Tahoe is back out of the garage and the wife's Mustang is back in.

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did the rear shackle thing,looks way better still a little jacked up but better i will not go any lower.i also have a 5.3 waiting to go in so i'm like where this is going.

Andy L

Reaction score
Looks good. Are you going to freshen up the 5.3. Hiw come you didnt paint the frame that you had the bed off?

I am going to clean the engine up and replace gaskets, etc. As far as digging into the motor, no, not now. I noticed an exhaust manifold bolt broken off. I've done this before, next thing I know, its a full rebuild and I've blown any budget out of the water with all the "unexpected" stuff that will come up. I will never be a painter, I don't have the patience for it. Doing the wheels was bad enough. Not that it was hard, just monotonous. I do/have done a lot of projects around the house, but painting is not one of them. When doing a project like this, I get impatient, I want to see results and don't want it to take a year to do. There is also the "snowball effect". You know, while doing this, why not do that, and while you are there do this too. Next thing you know, it has cost x3 and time as well. This is my driver and I need to keep the momentum up and get it done. I would like to have the frame painted, but, where does it stop? I did think about it. But, I had to draw the line somewhere or it would turn into a much bigger project. My wife is understanding to a point....she doesn't see why it needs another engine when the one in it runs...same with the wheel/tire upgrade. Thanks for the comments, it helps me keep this project "real". and moving forward!

Andy L

Reaction score
Getting started on the front end rebuild. With the 179K miles on it, it is flat worn out. Still tracks strait down the road, but I don't see how. Everything is loose and worn. I bought all new steering and suspension parts. The only original parts that will stay are the front springs and spindles....
In the beginning, there was....

Some new goodies.. JDM tubular lower control arms with a 2" drop.

Had to have the matching uppers as well.

BellTech sway bar set, you saw the rear bar already, now the front...