1995 GMC K2500 engine issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEChevyowner

Reaction score
I bought a 95 GMC with the 5.7 V8, 4x4 & auto transmission - a few months back. Truck sat for a year and a half. I've been working on getting the engine to run better, but am stumped.
The engine was way down on power, the first few times I drove it. I siphened out the gas, and put in 91 octane V power. I also changed out the plugs, and adjusted the lifters. The fuel filter has also been replaced. The cap and rotor haven't been changed yet. The plug wires look fairly new. I also advanced the timing. Advancing the timing really woke up the engine. The timing was too retarded. The power is about where it should be now.
The main issue I am having is:. The engine sounds great at idle, and when I give it throttle at the linkage while working under the hood (truck in park). As soon as I put it in drive, and start to drive slowly down my drive - I hear a little ticking coming from the drivers side valve cover?? Once I get a little up to speed, around 1500 rpm up - the ticking goes away? Should I try another 1/4 turn on each valve - on the drivers side? Could it be the IAC, or bad oxygen sensor?
I adjust my valve's the old school way: With the cover off and engine running, loosen til you hear a rattle, then turn in 1/2 to 1 full turn. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

pro17

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought they were self adjusting...
It could also be an exhaust leak when you put a load on the engine. There's no noise under my hood at any RPM until i move down the road then i can really hear the headers tick.
Maybe run the engine at idle and have someone cover the exhaust pipe, then see if you hear any noises.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Not sure on a 350 but on a 454 the rocker is non adjustable.Tighten the rocker stud down and that's it.

Moss

Reaction score
I've been experiencing the same issue- ticking goes away at 1500 rpm. Same truck, 1995 K2500 5.7 V8 350 tbi. Adjusted the valves yesterday and the ticking has gone away at highway speeds with cruise, but still present at idle.

Did you ever find the answer?

Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure on a 350 but on a 454 the rocker is non adjustable.Tighten the rocker stud down and that's it.
Big-blocks went to "net lash" valvetrains with the introduction of the Gen 5.

Not so with small-blocks or the V6 based on the small-block.

I've been experiencing the same issue- ticking goes away at 1500 rpm.
What is the hot idle, in-gear oil pressure?

Moss

Reaction score
What is the hot idle, in-gear oil pressure?
Sorry for the delay, I know it’s not what you’re asking but I’ll report back after I drive back home.

I know this morning on a cold start (14°F outside) I was at ~65psi for the 7-10mins I idled. At 60mph I was around 75psi or pretty close to maxed out (top end of gauge is 80). At destination and in park I was back to 60psi.

To make sure I can get you the correct number, you mean “in gear oil pressure” being truck in gear, and not moving?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since things change, did you review the service procedure in OE manual for valve train. I know old school stuff, things change for various reasons. Worried about high oil pressure? Install a mechanical test gauge, confirm your gauge is close approximate. Or is it exaggerating? Such as always reading 20 psi high no matter what RPM. That's a start.