1995 454 TBI questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OUTLAW68

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody had built this motor, I have one on a motor stand that I originally had planned to carb swap and put into my 1991 rcsb but everyone has told me they can't make good power...is there a good set of heads,intake,cam that will work on this block or does anyone Have any experience building it....thanks in advance for any help

454Suburban

Reaction score
I recently started up my BBC in my 91 3/4 ton suburban. Its a Mark IV block, .040 over, 9.1 compression, 98 Vortec heads, lunati voodoo 60201 cam, edelbrock dual plane intake and thorley tri-y long tube headers. Its running a smoothed BB TBI new injectors, and AFPR. I'm also running Dynamic EFI for tuning. Haven't gotten it on the road yet, but it idles dead smooth, crack the throttle and it revs quick and hard. few more weeks and it should be on the road. Also running a full 3" 2 into 1 exhaust.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They're super low compression with the garbage peanut port heads. Fix that, add a cam, and you have a 454.

OUTLAW68

Reaction score
That's why I was gonna swap it to carb cause I only intended on it being a street toy

OUTLAW68

Reaction score
Well it's not an exact number just kind of a start I already have a 500 horse small block 355 in an '87 s10 but it was an older block I think from a late 60's chevelle so when I bought my 1991 c1500 I wanted to go bigger and I already had a 1995 c3500 with the 454 and a bad trans but couldn't find much information about anyone building this engine until today where I found a article on using this exact block this has actually been helpful I'm glad I joined here

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's not an exact number just kind of a start I already have a 500 horse small block 355 in an '87 s10 but it was an older block I think from a late 60's chevelle so when I bought my 1991 c1500 I wanted to go bigger and I already had a 1995 c3500 with the 454 and a bad trans but couldn't find much information about anyone building this engine until today where I found a article on using this exact block this has actually been helpful I'm glad I joined here

Well I'm sure 600 would be fun as hell. The gen 5 block is unfortunately not the best option, but it can probably be made to work since it's what you have. So new heads, rotating assembly, intake, cam, exhaust, and you should be on your way. A 600 hp NA big block won't exactly be cheap, heads alone usually get close to $2k per pair.

A set of 049 oval ports, forged rotating assembly, and a turbo would probably be cheaper, but that's just a guess. You'll need to start coming pricing, not sure what's your budget?

Kenton Ahrens

Reaction score
You won't reach 600 with TBI but you could come close with Vortec heads and MPFI from 96-99 and an aggressive cam. Hey, if your rebuilding, you might as well go all the way. Make sure you use the upgraded Injector Spider from from 2003-2007. Although the 454 may have already had that in 96-99. Not sure. I know the 350 MPFI did not.