1995 454 Baselining - High Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFJ60

Reaction score
I recently got a 1995 Suburban 2500 with a 113k miles on the original 454. I've never had one of these OBD1 vehicles. Is there a scanner that folks recommend? I'm trying to figure out a high idle issue. Idles smooth, just a little high at around 950-1000 RPM. I tested for leaks with propane and couldn't find anything. I'll try again with starter fluid, but want to get fire extinguisher first. I'd rather not pull out the parts cannon, but my initial guess is the IAC valve or the TBI gasket based on a quick search. Any thoughts on a recommended scanner or other high idle culprits would be appreciated.

PFA.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The scanner question has been asked and answered many times. A search of the forum will provide significant results, including the option of getting on a waiting-list for the Community Scan Tool.

Some of the 454 TBIs had a vacuum-powered throttle kicker. If that's seized or out-of-adjustment, it would affect idle speed.