1995 Chevy K1500 High Idle/Code 35 Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattpaulman

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I wanted to say hello and that I am glad to be a member of this website. I recently purchased a 1995 K1500 short bed with a 5.7 V8. I am coming across many things on the truck to be improved on. Here's my recent experience with a code 35 I got corrected.

Symptoms:

Soon after I purchased it, I found out it had a service engine light. It would come on while the truck was warmed up and while in park. Once I shifted into drive, the light would go out. It turns out the truck was idling between 900-1000 RPMs in park, and when I shifted into drive, the RPMs would lower to around 600/700 RPMs, and the light would go out.

I looked up the code 35 I was getting on Google, and it says to clean/replace the IAC valve, which I did. And yet the light still didn't go out.

Solution:

I found out later on through another post here I found out it may be caused by a vacuum leak and that the throttle body gasket is notorious for failing. I took carburetor cleaner and sprayed around where the base of the throttle body mounts to the intake manifold, and the engine surged. I went to my local auto part store and picked up a new gasket for around $10.00. Surely enough, the old gasket was toast. It was split right where I sprayed the carb cleaner.

After replacing the gasket, my issues were solved. When warmed up, the engine idles around 650 in park, and the light no longer comes on.

Conclusion:

Hopefully, this helps you guys if you encounter the same issue. It's easy enough to replace the gasket, so I would try that and clean the IAC valve and throttle body to start before replacing the IAC valve since its around $50 or more.