1995 454 TBI questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't reach 600 with TBI but you could come close with Vortec heads and MPFI from 96-99 and an aggressive cam. Hey, if your rebuilding, you might as well go all the way. Make sure you use the upgraded Injector Spider from from 2003-2007. Although the 454 may have already had that in 96-99. Not sure. I know the 350 MPFI did not.

96-2000 454s don't use the spider, they use the normal style injectors found in every ls. Vortec heads definitely won't support 600 hp though, not without boost anyway.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vortec BBC heads aren't the performance boost that the 5.7 Vortec heads can be. There was a magazine article bragging them up when they were "new". The article is full of holes and errors. I found that out AFTER I bought and installed the heads.

I had 454 Vortec heads on the Mk IV 454 in my boat. They're all done at 5200 rpm, and not all that special below--at least in my application where low-end torque is useless.

I'm doing better with oval-port Mk IV heads, and big valves.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My family drag races and we've run quite a few race cars with 700+HP whose engines started their life as a TBI 454, one of them was a high revving ****** Granted, that's all forged internals, new crank and cam, AFR race heads, open exhaust, giant carburetor with methanol, the list goes on and on and on. Solid block though.