1994 1500 & 1999 2500 TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go to weller, grab a auto rv mag as there are free admission and I think a 10% off coupon in there. If you happen into there can you pull a set of fans from a ford windstar van with the wire pigtails? They are easy 2 bolts hold them then pull up. I'll pay you.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If the bolt you're talking about is the one i thinking of, its only a pinch bolt and it shouldn't be breaking or backing off. The splines are what connects the shaft to the box and the bolt only supplies a light clamping force.

Pitman arm wont come out of the center link without either something like a pickle fork or a press/clamp. You cant hammer it out, the taper on the shaft holds on too tight.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
what all broke? I may have some if not all of what you need.

Technically, the bolt that Great White refers to is stripped out. Not sure if the clamp it pinches is stripped or not. I cant get the fawking steering box to seperate from the steering shaft, and I could get the pitman arm to seperare from the centerlink. I was not using a pitman arm remover/pickle fork since I thought you only needes that to seperate the pitman arm from the box. My plan is to get the pitman arm seperated from the centerlink, and disconnect the steering shaft up closer to the firewall, and slid everything out as one. This will allow me to seperate the box from the shaft on my workbench, and I will also be able to make sure that clamp is still good.

If you go to weller, grab a auto rv mag as there are free admission and I think a 10% off coupon in there. If you happen into there can you pull a set of fans from a ford windstar van with the wire pigtails? They are easy 2 bolts hold them then pull up. I'll pay you.

Yes. I will look. Plan on going saturday. just to let you know, they do bucket sales every wednesday. A bucket sale is, you pay $5 to get in and you get a 5 gallon bucket (you keep the bucket) and whatever you can fit in the bucket, you get 25% off.

If the bolt you're talking about is the one i thinking of, its only a pinch bolt and it shouldn't be breaking or backing off. The splines are what connects the shaft to the box and the bolt only supplies a light clamping force.

Pitman arm wont come out of the center link without either something like a pickle fork or a press/clamp. You cant hammer it out, the taper on the shaft holds on too tight.

Thanks Great White. Yes, the bolt you are talking about is the one that is giving me the issues. After I lost steering, we found the bolt on the ground, and the threads were all fawked up. I have slight steering ability while rolling. If I try to turn to sharp, the steering wheel just clicks and the tires do nothing. Do you have any idea what my problem is? I know the steering box is fubared because it ****** fluid like crazy and I was in the process of replacing it... Do you think maybe the stud on the box is stripped or something? One last question. Once I get the box disconnected from pitman arm/frame, do I just yank on it, and it should slide off the steering shaft?

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo!

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically, the bolt that Great White refers to is stripped out. Not sure if the clamp it pinches is stripped or not. I cant get the fawking steering box to seperate from the steering shaft, and I could get the pitman arm to seperare from the centerlink. I was not using a pitman arm remover/pickle fork since I thought you only needes that to seperate the pitman arm from the box. My plan is to get the pitman arm seperated from the centerlink, and disconnect the steering shaft up closer to the firewall, and slid everything out as one. This will allow me to seperate the box from the shaft on my workbench, and I will also be able to make sure that clamp is still good.

Yes. I will look. Plan on going saturday. just to let you know, they do bucket sales every wednesday. A bucket sale is, you pay $5 to get in and you get a 5 gallon bucket (you keep the bucket) and whatever you can fit in the bucket, you get 25% off.

Thanks Great White. Yes, the bolt you are talking about is the one that is giving me the issues. After I lost steering, we found the bolt on the ground, and the threads were all fawked up. I have slight steering ability while rolling. If I try to turn to sharp, the steering wheel just clicks and the tires do nothing. Do you have any idea what my problem is? I know the steering box is fubared because it ****** fluid like crazy and I was in the process of replacing it... Do you think maybe the stud on the box is stripped or something? One last question. Once I get the box disconnected from pitman arm/frame, do I just yank on it, and it should slide off the steering shaft?

Did you try to get a prybar down there to pry the steering shaft coupler off the steering box? Thats how I had to get it off the tahoe.

Thats a cool sale but I work every wends both jobs.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Did you try to get a prybar down there to pry the steering shaft coupler off the steering box? Thats how I had to get it off the tahoe.

Thats a cool sale but I work every wends both jobs.

No, I didnt use a prybar since I aint got one lol. Do you know how far the shaft extends? Cuz I could pull the box a few inches..

This may be a stupid question, but does the steering shaft compress? Like if I leave the box bolted in so it does move, and pry the steering shaft towards the firewall.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the shaft compresses but after so many years being in one spot it needs some persuation to slide inward towards firewall.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
With the pinch bolt not installed, your shaft is likely spinning on the box's splines when you put too much load on it.

Replace with a new pinch bolt.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
With the pinch bolt not installed, your shaft is likely spinning on the box's splines when you put too much load on it.

Replace with a new pinch bolt.

Do you happen to know where I can get a new pinch bolt, or even its technicaly name if it has one?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it to your local hardware store and find it's match and get it in grade 5 or 8 (or metric equivalent)

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Saturday, i had plans to replace front caliper and pads, steering box and pitman arm, and then start body work. Finsihed the caliper and pads fairly quickly and started on the steering box. Had it complete unbolted form the frame and had the lines disconnected. I then took the bolt holding the pitman arm to the centerlink, and took out the bolt on the steering shaft at the box. Couldnt get the box to come off the shaft, and couldnt get the pitman arm off the centerlink. After 2 plus hours of wrestling with it, about 10 good sized cuts, and having my entire arms from the shoulder down covered in diesel oil and powersteering fluid, i decided to put it all back together, and just try and tackle it another day when i was not upset. Put it all back together, and then loaded up T-unit, the girls, and myself to head off downtown. Two blocks from my house the bolt holding the steering shaft to the box stripped out, fell onto the ground, and i lost all ability to steer. Ended up in the opposite lane up on the curb. Had to call the wrecker to come get me. Sunday i tried to put a new nut, bolt, and locking washer onto the shaft, and it worked for all about 5 minutes, loosened up, and yet again lost steering. Just just coasted back home in reverse, cursed a few times, and said fawk it. Hopefully have time Friday after work to hit the junkyard and get the peices i need. Really dont want to have to have it towed to a shop, and have them work on it. That would cost a fortune.

We will conclude this update with a sad picture.... A picture i never thought i would see :(

You must be registered for see images

Minus the tow truck, your truck is looking sexy :boobs: