1994 1500 & 1999 2500 TD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Do you happen to know where I can get a new pinch bolt, or even its technicaly name if it has one?

sent from my Galaxy S4 Yo!

Dealer item or hardware store.

I'd tend towards dealer, it's probably only going to be 5-10 bucks and it will be the right one.

The other concern is the splines in the shaft adapter. IIRC, the box shaft is steel and the shaft adapter is aluminum or a softer steel. If it's been ratcheting back and forth the splines may be damaged to the point replacement would be wise.

You'd have to pull it apart to know either way.

Junkyard replacement would do if yours is damaged, as long as you find one in decent shape.

Steering is not a place to "think" it's done right or half arse it together or you may have a repeat experience of the truck headed into the opposing traffic and not a damned thing you can do about it.

Scarry stuff....

Last edited:

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Dealer item or hardware store.

I'd tend towards dealer, it's probably only going to be 5-10 bucks and it will be the right one.

The other concern is the splines in the shaft adapter. IIRC, the box shaft is steel and the shaft adapter is aluminum or a softer steel. If it's been ratcheting back and forth the splines may be damaged to the point replacement would be wise.

You'd have to pull it apart to know either way.

Junkyard replacement would do if yours is damaged, as long as you find one in decent shape.

Steering is not a place to "think" it's done right or half arse it together or you may have a repeat experience of the truck headed into the opposing traffic and not a damned thing you can do about it.

Scarry stuff....

Yeah what happened was scary enough. Never want anything like that again

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I have a spare shaft.

I planned on doing the truck work today, but did not get around to it. And since it is on the street and doesnt tuen, I cannot pull it into the garage to work on it. So I will be getting up early tomorrow. Just about tot leave and buy a pickle fork to get the pitman arm off. I do believe I should be alright. I will find out tomorrow

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pickle fork ain't gonna be fun.

Make sure you get a nice long aluminum or steel bar you can use to extend the fork handle if you plan on hitting it with a hammer.

Air hammer works a treat if you have one.

The problem with the pickle fork and a BFH is the linkage moves every time you hit it and this takes away most of the force of the BFH....well, that and the fact that it's major tight SOB in the GM IFS area. Not a lot of room to swing, hence the long bar....

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unless your truck acts like my tahoe. Air hammer/ pickle fork neither are breaking the idler arm loose. Yes you want a long pickle fork for these trucks.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
unless your truck acts like my tahoe. Air hammer/ pickle fork neither are breaking the idler arm loose. Yes you want a long pickle fork for these trucks.

Fork for the taper, puller for the shaft.

he's popping the taper IIRC....

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
I have the steering shaft disconnected. Now I just have to get the pitman arm off the centerlink. I plan on keeping the pitman arm atrached to the old box for thr time being, and taking it out all as one. The pickle fork I have is perfect length. It was getting late and did not feel like keeping the neighbors up. Hopefully have it done tuesday night. It sucks having it parked on the street and not near the garage, because once the sun goes down, I have to call it quits.

West Mi Mudder

OHHHH YEAHHHHH
Reaction score
Skipped the 2nd part of class and thank god I did!! The old steering box is out. Went very smooth this time around. Few smacks with the harbor frieght tie rod remover on the pitman arm and wham! Off the centerlink she came. Will get a few pictures here in a few second to ask opionions of what exactly you guys think I should replace.