1992 wipers and cruise control problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yall,

My dads 1992 has had these problems for long as anyone can recall. The wipers work but they remain and one consitent speed and don't shut off. You literally have to twist the *** countless time for them to finally go off. The windshield spray works like it should and they shut off when they are supposed to. Also, the cruise control is out, it just plain doesn't work. I've read about the wipers connection panel and how that's a common problem, but what about the cruise? I thought maybe they could just be related by a bad handle maybe. Blinkers and hi beams work fine when it's tilted. Sometimes the wipers work normal. As usual, very appreciative fellas!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Resolder the harness socket on the wiper circuit board; wiper problems solved.

Cruise on 1994-older is almost always broken wires inside the bend where they go from the lever into the column, but they break internally (tiny wires) so you can't see they're bad. Sometimes the contacts on the switches in the lever simply go bad (I've partially revived a few by soaking them down in contact cleaner.) Also can be caused by a faulty brake light switch, even if the brake lights still work; there's more than one set of contacts in there and one is for cruise disable. The leaf switches fatigue and lose their spring tension, fold over/make contact when they shouldn't, eventually break. Also, 1993 and older have adjustable brake switches which sometimes can be out of adjustment.

Richard