1992 GMC Sierra (Misfire/Stuttering)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris86

Reaction score
'92 GMC Sierra 5.7l
So I was about 1 mile from my destination yesterday when the truck started to misfire/stutter and stall (Service Engine Soon Light did not come on). I could smell very rich exhaust from the cab while driving. By this point I had been driving for about an hour so the truck was warm. I managed to make it to my destination, had the truck off for about a half an hour while I loaded it up. No issues starting the truck, took it around the block to see how she would take it, no misfiring or stuttering, exhaust smelt normal. I managed to make it about 25 miles before the same exact symptoms came back, only difference is the service light came up this time for a few seconds. The truck is parked now, and on a cold start it now produces these symptoms right away on start.

I checked the OBD and it gave me nothing but 12's.
I am currently waiting on someone I know who has a timing light, might take a few days though.
There are a few sensors that I have suspicions about, mainly the ECT (RPMs on cold start with same outdoor temps seem to vary quite a bit), MAP or IAC.

Worth noting that something similar happened 5 months back, I can't recall if the exhaust was rich, but the truck started to misfire/choke out while I was driving. It was brutally cold out(-40F) It even stalled on me a few a times. Had to pop it in neutral and start it on the go since I was on a highway in the city. It stalled maybe three times, then ran like a champ up until yesterday. Only thing I've changed on this truck in the past year is the 02 sensor(Got a code 13 and terrible gas mileage).

I am willing to try swapping a couple of sensors, but my budget doesn't really allow me to throw tons of money on the truck at the moment. My last course of action is to have it towed to someone I know who knows these trucks better than I do.
Any opinions or trouble shooting advice would be greatly appreciated.