1991 C1500 TURBO 5.3/4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
RDF1, I'm super jealous of you. You're out here getting things done almost daily, whereas I'm barely getting to touch my truck on the weekends. :(:(:(:(

Love watching the progress happen though, can't wait to see the final product!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RDF1, I'm super jealous of you. You're out here getting things done almost daily, whereas I'm barely getting to touch my truck on the weekends. :(:(:(:(

Love watching the progress happen though, can't wait to see the final product!
Ha don't be.... I work on it when I can and don't sleep much. It's been 10 months now and I just started driving it.
Still gotta do a cage at some point. We are getting a CNC pipe bender at work so that should make it a piece o cake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Ha don't be.... I work on it when I can and don't sleep much. It's been 10 months now and I just started driving it.
Still gotta do a cage at some point. We are getting a CNC pipe bender at work so that should make it a piece o cake.

I don't get much sleep either, but I don't have a badass turbo truck to show for it. Just one without a front bumper that leaks oil....I mean, sweats power. ;)

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't get much sleep either, but I don't have a badass turbo truck to show for it. Just one without a front bumper that leaks oil....I mean, sweats power. ;)
Hahahaha. I've gone thru that before. If I had everything I could have done this in a month. But work till you need to order a part. Order it, and wait for it to get shippped. When it comes in, repeat....
Amazon people prolly confused... I've ordered all kinda different model parts haha

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So i put 2 8" fans on the trans cooler mounted under the truck. Riding around on back roads with the converter locked the temps creep up constantly. It takes about 20 miles and its at 210*.
I think with all the heat from Radiator, engine, exhaust, and transmission the cooler isnt getting any cool air so its slowly heat soaking.

Going to move the cooler to the front this evening and go ride around again.
Gotta get some hose barb fittings and 3/4" hose so i can plumb up the Water/Air Intercooler. IATs going to lunch today were 140-145* so its going to need some water in there soon so i can finish tuning it in boost.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't have enough hose so gotta order some and start over.
But did take the condenser out. It was clogged up.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Big problem with that setup is the lack of a cooling fan on the cooler.

The next big problem is the pushlok style hose. Unfortunately that stuff won't survive long with trans oil, even though its said to be fine.

If you added a cooling fan to the remote cooler, you should see significantly lower temperatures.

I know with a big stall (4k) in a TH400 we saw 150-160* constant cruise temperatures and 190* after heavy launches.

So i put 2 8" fans on the trans cooler mounted under the truck. Riding around on back roads with the converter locked the temps creep up constantly. It takes about 20 miles and its at 210*.
I think with all the heat from Radiator, engine, exhaust, and transmission the cooler isnt getting any cool air so its slowly heat soaking.

Going to move the cooler to the front this evening and go ride around again.
Gotta get some hose barb fittings and 3/4" hose so i can plumb up the Water/Air Intercooler. IATs going to lunch today were 140-145* so its going to need some water in there soon so i can finish tuning it in boost.

I can't remember the part number of the Derale cooler and fan setup we used. But it's been great for around $225.

The reason your cooler isn't cooling well is also due to the fact that it's designed to run inline with your radiator mounted trans cooler, so it won't allow the trans temp to get over coolant temp.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has 2 8" fans on it now and they are powered with the ignition switch.
With it under the bed it is probably seeing all the heat from the engine and exhaust so not much cool air to help cool it with.
Removing the Condensor my Coolant temps went from 197* cruising to 185*.
Im moving trans cooler up front this weekend so we will see. TCC Slip speed and input/output shaft speeds were all within 1-2 RPMs so no slip to create heat.
It got up to 210* on a 25 mile trip on the interstate yesterday.

Ive been running the Aeroquip Pushlok hose on my silverado for 14 years on the trans to trans cooler and it still holding up.

I wont ever hook up a trans line to the radiator. After having one start leaking internally and filling a trans with Dexcool and fills radiator with Dex-Merc :D.
You pretty much turn that transmission in for a core charge after that happens.

Using the same TruCool 40K on my Silverado for the 14 years mentioned and it keep the trans temps under 120* towing in the summer so it works great if you have some cooler air to go over it. I just had to try the under bed mount to see if it would work.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking while riding to lunch today... Wonder if i swap the polarity and change the direction of air flow. Maybe the way i have it now, the air pressure from under the truck is killing the fans airflow, Kinda like a "Air Lock"?
Ill swap it tonight and see what happens.
Then if that doesnt work ill just move it up front and be done. Wont have to deal with the fans that way. Still gotta mount my intercooler heat exchanger up front also... :(