1991 350tbi no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally picked up my truck today! Unfortunately it doesnt start. No spray on injectors and didnt start when gas poured in tbi port.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Sounds like a ECM failure. Or possibly a magnetic pickup bad. The module can be tested at the auto parts store. The mag pickup should be 500 to 1500 ohms (usually around 750). Either one will make no spark and no injector pulse.

Fishon

Reaction score
Does it have the distributor that the wires go out the sides ? If so pull #3 wire and give it a shot. Yes i agree it sounds stupid

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have fuel spray at the injectors. When you supply fuel, the engine still doesn't start.

Apparently, there's no spark, either. Would be nice to verify, though.

Frank is right--a failed pickup coil, or a failed ignition module are the most-common failures that cause your symptoms. Other possibilities are failed distributor gears--or the roll-pin that holds it to the distributor shaft; a broken wire harness between ECM and ignition module, or a failed ECM. Perhaps even popped fuse(s).

But all that assumes that there's ONE failure causing TWO problems--no spark, no fuel. You could have a failed fuel pump (no fuel) and a failed ignition coil (no spark) or some other combination of multiple failures causing multiple symptoms.

More diagnosis needed. Does the distributor spin when you crank the engine? What is the fuel pressure? Can you trigger the module manually, and get spark? What happens if you disconnect the one-wire "timing connector" used to set initial timing, and try to crank the engine?

Does it have the distributor that the wires go out the sides ? If so pull #3 wire and give it a shot. Yes i agree it sounds stupid
He says it's a '93 TBI...so no, not a Vortec, different distributor.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Havent had much time to diagnose. all I have done is verify no spray at injectors and no start when fuel poured in it. The truck ran a mo th ago after a new ignition coil and new ICM. Both are master pro brand. I assumed it may be the pickup coil and or ICM. I was gonna just go ahead and get a new distributor tomorrow and install. I will check all connections and plugs and distributor rotation tomorrow. There is no shrader valve to check fuel pressure.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no shrader valve to check fuel pressure.
Which is why there's a couple of adapters used. Be sure to verify that the schrader valve on the adapter matches the threaded end on your fuel pressure tester. There's at least two different thread sizes used, and some pressure gauges use a quick-coupler instead of threaded fittings.

One goes at the rear of the throttle body.
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-271...+pressure&qid=1608090664&s=automotive&sr=1-22

There's no room on Vans for the one behind the throttle body, so I had to get one that screws in place of the fuel filter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR544/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or just buy the entire gauge package. I think this comes with the adapter that goes behind the throttle body--you'd want to verify.
https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP783...2NW7PTFNZVT&psc=1&refRID=PSE7VWSX72NW7PTFNZVT

Mark Hix

Reaction score
Check your pickup coil it controls the injectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allen

Reaction score
Check the grounds on the water neck and make sure they are tight. Got bit by that one once.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the diagnostic charts from the 88 service manual but should help you find your issue instead of just throwing parts at it

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update

So changed out the distributor and the injectors are working. Its bucking really bad and wont start and was told my timing is probably pretty advanced. It did fire a few times bit is struggling to turn over. Gonna try and manually time it enough to hopefully get it running.