1991 350tbi no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna try and manually time it enough to hopefully get it running.
I tried that recently on my 88 - turns out I was way off. Get a timing light, disconnect the black/tan EST bypass wire and set it to 0*. That's the only way to get it close to where you want it.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried that recently on my 88 - turns out I was way off. Get a timing light, disconnect the black/tan EST bypass wire and set it to 0*. That's the only way to get it close to where you want it.

Yessir. That's what I was informed. Bought me a cheap harbor freight timing light. Hopefully it's too far off to start, and once I adjust it and get it running I will set to 0.

Thanks!

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Also, I dont actually need to disconnect the wire before I get it running, only after its warm and ready to fine tune timing, correct?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd disconnect the wire (this takes the ECM out of the equation as far as timing), get it running, warm it up and then, fine tune it. Before you do that, ensure your rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire on TDC compression stroke. I know it's easy to get your firing order wrong. Double check it and remember, it turns clockwise unlike Fords. I'm sure you know this stuff already but, it's just for confirmation.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got her running! Had to turn distributor about 1/4 turn clockwise until it ran. Then used my gun to set timing. Purrs real nice now. Got a CEL when idling. I notice oil pressure drops to 13 when stopped. Not sure if that's the issue

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach