1991 2wd Silverado TV cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotfoot014

Reaction score
My son drove truck with disconnected TV cable on my 4L60 transmission. I've reconnected the cable with a replacement clip at the throttle lever linkage. It will take off normally and shift to second, but immediately flares out in second (slips) and will not shift into third. He drove the truck 40 plus miles in this condition. Has the transmission been damaged?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm afraid that tranny is probably toasted. The 700R4 which what its really called before 91 needs the TV cable hooked up to control line pressure within the transmission. If that is mis-adjusted or not even hooked up you will damage the tranny an I this case I'm prolly betting the tranny is roasted if he drove 40miles or more with it not connected.

When you hooked it back up was it adjusted correctly? In all cases you prolly are looking at a new tranny.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
700r4 (or 4l60 without an "E" on the end) have a throttle valve cable (TV cable) to control line pressures. Without it hooked up, it is possible to have burned up some friction material and potentially have damaged the transmission. The "E" does this electronically so no TV cable on that one.

40 miles isn't a horrible amount though. It may survive, but not as "healthy" as it was. If he was "hotfooting" it or towing, the outlook is much worse.

I would first make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly and go from there.

But I'm on the negative side of hopeful for ya.....:(

hotfoot014

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled it this morning and the fluid is definitely burnt. I took it to the transmission man for a rebuild.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah mine was broke for god know how long. By the time I noticed it the trans had already started acting hurt. Then about 500 miles later it went with a bang.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk