1990 C1500 Stepside Restoration - "Arnie's Truck"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
I always like starting with the “Bottom Line Up Front” – so here are some shots of my recently restored 1990 C1500 Stepside:

You must be registered for see images attach

Now for the long version:

I grew up in Southern California, and joined the Marine Corps after college. Spent some time in Quantico, VA, then Newport, RI, and was lucky enough to get stationed in Miramar, CA. Shortly after moving back to CA, my Grandfather (Grandpa Arnie) gave me his ’90 Stepside:

Originally, he purchased a brand new light blue 1996 (I think?) C1500 that I remember seeing growing up. Years later he let one of my cousins borrow it and unfortunately it got stolen, and was found on the side of the road parted out. After that, he bought an early 2000’s Chevy truck, ended up giving that to another one of my cousins (I guess he didn’t like the newer trucks? haha), and then purchased another GMT400 – this time a 1990 truck sometime around 2004 I believe. I had always told him that if he ever planned on getting rid of it to sell it to me, so I’m glad I got my name in the hat early haha.

Grandpa Arnie worked for IMPCO Technologies, which converted fleet vehicles to alternative fuel (LPG i.e. Propane). He had his original blue truck converted, and after it got stolen and he recovered it, I’m pretty sure he transferred the same system to the 1990 (I don’t believe the thieves touched the system). The truck was dual fuel, and had a switch in the interior that allowed you to change between LPG and regular gasoline.

He had his shop install it and maintain it for him, and I’m pretty sure he was able to fill up on site, so it was a no brainer for him. For me, however, the system was mysterious, filling the tank with propane took significantly longer, the tank was a bit of an eye sore now that it had some surface rust, and it took up quite a bit of bed space. I planned on removing the system at some point.

Over the years, I used the truck primarily as my home improvement store transportation, and the truck has left me stranded a few times for a variety of reasons. The interior was pretty dirty, there were some electronics gremlins, the driver door arm rest was duct taped in place, and the paint was starting to oxidize and peel. I had a long list of planned repairs that seemed to grow continuously, and I just figured I would get to them all eventually.

2020 (i.e. “Eventually”)

Fast forward to January of this year. I had a 2013 Jeep Wrangler that I absolutely loved. Got into what I thought was a fender bender getting off the freeway, and my insurance ended up totaling the vehicle. Very sad to see the Jeep go:

My first instinct was to get into a new Wrangler Unlimited, but I had gotten used to not having a car payment, and didn’t really want to get a $30k+ base Wrangler. Was looking at some used Unlimited Rubicons also in the $30k+ range, but again, wasn’t really feeling it. My crazy thought was to use my Jeep payout to fix up the Chevy and make it my daily driver, and after some self convincing I decided to go for it. On a deeper level, it feels great to keep a 30 year vehicle on the road, as new cars are sadly disposable commodities in today’s global economy.

/////

New 5.7L 350 crate motor was ordered from a local Chevy dealership, and delivered to the shop doing the install. They removed the propane system in its entirety, and brought the system back to stock. Along with the motor, they added an edelbrock intake manifold, cold air intake, shorty headers, and dual cat-back exhaust, and replaced a multitude of worn components and connectors.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
Popped the truck over to another local shop so they could lift the truck. Went with the 4” spindle lift up front, 2” blocks in the back, Bilstein 5100s all around, and 33” BFG KO2s.

Next was paint, and the shop did an absolutely amazing job. Took the finish down to the factory red and built it back up from there. I pulled the trim/rubber/bumpers/grille/lights beforehand, and they replaced the front and back glass, and pulled the doors, hood, and bed off to do a full respray including jambs. I brought in a Dorman hinge pin/roller/spring kit and they replaced those for me as my driver door roller was trashed. Also brought in the new side mirrors and cowl for them to color match. They also filled a bunch of holes in the bed from the propane system as well as a previously installed fiberglass bed cover. The end result is absolutely amazing, and these guys are highly recommended if anyone is in the area looking to get some paint done.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
Taking the truck in next week to get the interior reupholstered - picked out as close to stock fabrics and colors as possible to keep the stock look. The cloth is so faded the bench is almost a mint green color, as opposed to the original dark grayish-blue you can see in the unfaded pull out armrest:

The dash is in pretty good shape, and I found all the missing parts on eBay/LMC to bring it back to stock. Trying to get the cassette player with EQ to work right now, ordered a new belt online so I’ll see if that helps. Also want to add in the aux input into the cassette player so I can plug my phone in while keeping the factory look. Ordered new seatbelts with the old school GM buckles as well, just waiting for them to come in so I can install when I get the truck back from the upholstery shop. The only piece I’m missing at this point is a driver side door panel arm rest in medium dark gray. The one I had was broken and unusable, and I have’t been able to source a good used example anywhere. Any leads?

Once that’s all done, last thing on the list is to redo the engine bay - chassis black all around, replace any worn/cracked connectors, regroup all harnesses and install new loom all around, replace plastic bottles/jars, detail all remaining components to give it a factory fresh look.

Since this is my “new” daily driver, I’ll be following the maintenance book pretty closely, with the clock starting over for the engine, and the other components following along at 240,000 miles. The motor comes with a 50,000 mile warranty, so I wasn’t able to install a new cam like I wanted without voiding the warranty, but when the 50k rolls around I’d like to put one in, as well as maybe get the trans rebuilt (I only got it serviced). I plan to preemptively replace items as needed to keep the truck running well, and if there is any general advice for a testing/inspection reference to keep a higher mileage truck running feel free to share. A few more:

Lastly, the GMT400 forum overall has been my go-to resource more so than any other forum, so I’m glad to have found this group. There’s nothing like keeping an old truck on the road (I’m only 9 months older!), and I hope it will outlast me. Thanks for reading, and keep truckin’.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love it!! That maroonish color or whatever it was before was actually pretty appealing to my eye! Of course you cant go wrong with black either. Just looks very well done.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What wheels are those? They sure set off the look......also like the quad sealed beam headlights swap.
Sick of polishing my plastic crap ones)

Had to swap rotors on the spindle lift?

Doug in P.R.:cool:

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a Beautiful Truck! and I'm sure you made your "Grandpa Arnie" proud, but forgot to mentioned the name and address of the Body Shop you had the work done, and don't forget the Upholstery shop as well. So from one veteran (U.S. Army) to another, Thanks again Semper Fi!

S1I2F3

Reaction score
What wheels are those? They sure set off the look......also like the quad sealed beam headlights swap.
Sick of polishing my plastic crap ones)

Had to swap rotors on the spindle lift?

Doug in P.R.:cool:

The wheels are actually from quadratec - the C1500 shares the same 5" x 5" lug pattern as the JK Wrangler. These have an increased offset (+10) which are closer to the same spec as the 454 SS wheels. Still needed a 1.5" spacer to clear the lift spindles, and minimal trimming of the front bumper to clear the 33s:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/hardrock-wheel/machined-black-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt

*edit: Also wanted to confirm that the HD rotors are required in the front to work with the lift spindles, so that whole package has to be factored in when going with that lift

You have a Beautiful Truck! and I'm sure you made your "Grandpa Arnie" proud, but forgot to mentioned the name and address of the Body Shop you had the work done, and don't forget the Upholstery shop as well. So from one veteran (U.S. Army) to another, Thanks again Semper Fi!

Thank you for your service! The body shop is South County Auto Body in Lake Forest, CA. Max is a super cool dude. Only "complaint" is it took close to 6 weeks, but that was simply because they were just absolutely slammed - a good sign in my book.

Upholstery shop is Recon Auto in Mission Viejo. Taking the truck in today for them to finish the interior, I'll post photos later in the week once I get the truck back. Really looking forward to having a fresh interior.

Steven

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Wow that looks great!!! Like someone else said, those wheels absolutely set it off. Good contrast against the paint.

Thanks for your service :patriot:

TexasRebel

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Usually not a fan of lifted 2wd trucks, but you did a good job with this one. Looks great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk