1990 C1500 Stepside Restoration - "Arnie's Truck"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
Wanted to post some updated interior pics now that I have the truck back - shop did a good job. Only piece I'm missing now is the Medium Dark Gray driver side arm rest, if anyone has a lead on one please let me know! Alternate option is to buy an armrest in a different color and try to paint to match. I'm sure that would be fine, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Also got some seat belts from Wesco, they have the old school GM buckles and look raaaaad, super pumped about them:

You must be registered for see images attach

Skeletal

Getting a bigger hammer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the best looking stepsides around, it looks really good! Those Jeep wheels look sharp as hell on there.

Idle Serge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a gem and what a story! Papa is proud! That interior tho :hail:

On the topic of the sound system - have you ever considered something like this?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTACR/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M4.html

Pretty much does everything but play CDs - built in blue tooth, xm compatible, AUX for amp and so forth. It's spendy to say the least, but retains the OEM look with much of todays tech advances.

Kicker even makes a 6.5" sub that fits nicely behind the bench seat. I currently have it installed and it's perfect for a slight bump in audio.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
What a gem and what a story! Papa is proud! That interior tho :hail:

On the topic of the sound system - have you ever considered something like this?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTACR/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M4.html

Pretty much does everything but play CDs - built in blue tooth, xm compatible, AUX for amp and so forth. It's spendy to say the least, but retains the OEM look with much of todays tech advances.

Kicker even makes a 6.5" sub that fits nicely behind the bench seat. I currently have it installed and it's perfect for a slight bump in audio.

I actually have not seen that one before, and am intrigued. I'm definitely going for that stock interior look, and this one is the closest I've ever seen. Very intrigued indeed....

Idle Serge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually have not seen that one before, and am intrigued. I'm definitely going for that stock interior look, and this one is the closest I've ever seen. Very intrigued indeed....

They do have a cheaper version that is not XM compatible nor it is direct iPhone controlled feature - it's 80 bucks cheaper.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTM2/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M2.html?tp=49934

I was reluctant swapping my sound components out as I thought it didn't sound bad but once I did, I'm sure as hell happy I did.

S1I2F3

Reaction score
They do have a cheaper version that is not XM compatible nor it is direct iPhone controlled feature - it's 80 bucks cheaper.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTM2/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M2.html?tp=49934

I was reluctant swapping my sound components out as I thought it didn't sound bad but once I did, I'm sure as hell happy I did.

That option looks great as well. For me, I want to be able to continue using cassettes, but would like to be able to switch to bluetooth/phone use, and want the system to appear as bone stock as possible.

I'm thinking of getting a unit similar to this and to have it be switchable between the stock radio/cassette player and this updated unit. Will try to think through the steps to do that, and I've seen some other threads where an aux jack is switchable, so I'm sure I can figure it out when I get to it.

Idle Serge

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That option looks great as well. For me, I want to be able to continue using cassettes, but would like to be able to switch to bluetooth/phone use, and want the system to appear as bone stock as possible.

I'm thinking of getting a unit similar to this and to have it be switchable between the stock radio/cassette player and this updated unit. Will try to think through the steps to do that, and I've seen some other threads where an aux jack is switchable, so I'm sure I can figure it out when I get to it.

I see - the limiting factor to retaining the original unit is it's overall capabilities. There's only so much the stock unit can do for the old and outdated sound system.

I would assume your options would be a universal Bluetooth Hands free unit or something like an iSimple. I'm not too familiar with all the options when it comes to these kits but I had an iSimple in my GS300. It basically just added an aux point - the aux cable was still an eye sore so I'm assuming that would take away from retaining the OEM look, thus my suggestion of the RetroSound. No exposed wires while keeping the original-ish look.

As you stated, I'm sure you could figure something out to keep the cassettes playing - when you do, let us know!

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am a die-hard Chevy and Jeep fan. I have both and never would have thought the Rubi replica wheels could look so good on a Chevy! Well done pushing the limit! I love it! Got my gears turning in my head now!