1990 454SS Frame/Bed/Cab (Salavage title) Fire. 1/2 Ton Short Box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd disagree there. They were not standard equipment. The black elephant mirrors were standard, chrome was standard on the scottsdale and silverado packages. The sport mirrors were an option later on for sure.

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
your wrong...., i know for a fact all the 454SS's from 1990-1993 had those mirrors.

EXCEPT the 454SS in canada, ALL had black dumbo mirrors.

No, I have three 454 SS trucks. All the 90's in Canada had elephant ear mirrors in black. The sport truck debuted in '89 where most had elephant ear but the sport mirror was an option. later sports and later SS trucks all had the sport mirrors, including in Canada. I've seen 1990 454SS's from the US with elephant ear mirrors. My 93 SS's came stock with sport mirrors. (in Canada.) My '92 sport did as well.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
No, I have three 454 SS trucks. All the 90's in Canada had elephant ear mirrors in black. The sport truck debuted in '89 where most had elephant ear but the sport mirror was an option. later sports and later SS trucks all had the sport mirrors, including in Canada. I've seen 1990 454SS's from the US with elephant ear mirrors. My 93 SS's came stock with sport mirrors. (in Canada.) My '92 sport did as well.

im willing to bet that 90 454SS from the states had the dumbo's added on, or its not a true SS. one or the other.

i could be wrong on the canada thing, but i know all the ones ive seen her have had dumbo's.

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
im willing to bet that 90 454SS from the states had the dumbo's added on, or its not a true SS. one or the other.

i could be wrong on the canada thing, but i know all the ones ive seen her have had dumbo's.

I've seen tons and tons of them over my lifetime. And owned a few. I've never seen a 454SS in Canada come with elephant ears in 91 to 93. Only in 90. And I've been to, sat inside and offered on 454ss's from the US that didn't have the 110 MPH guages or ('gages') or the sport mirrors from 90. (And they are 100% true SS trucks.) That smooth steering wheel is also something I've never seen on a 454ss in Canada but is very common in the US.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
From the 1988 full size pickup sales brochure.

You must be registered for see images attach

From the optional equipment page...

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats an awesome pic of the brochure.

From the 1988 full size pickup sales brochure.

From the optional equipment page...

I'm sure the 'below eyeline' mirrors they are mentioning there are the elephant ear ones though seeing as they never built the sport version in stainless. (and they list them both, painted and stainless which is how the ones on the cover came.) Plus they mention the west coast camper mirrors.
I see that they must have been available though.. which is really cool; and something I have never come across. As an aside if you need some I have an extra pair kicking around here, just PM me if you are interested.

Whoops just realized I misread your post; you were showing them under the optional equipment list so of course they are the elephant ear ones. Damn iPhone is so small, lol.
I'm curious though; I own seven roadworthy gmt-400's and I've had many more and spent an inordinate amount of time in junkyards up here - I have never seen a 'plain' model have those mirrors. I wonder if in Canada they were not standard equipment- just like our '90 454SS's all have the elephant ears and not the sport mirrors.

Last edited:

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
First off, I had no idea you were in Canada. Well if if you guys up in Canada say that most if not all (seems to be varying opinions on it) 454SS's up there had the dumbo ears, it must be a Canadian DOT thing.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
First off, I had no idea you were in Canada. Well if if you guys up in Canada say that most if not all (seems to be varying opinions on it) 454SS's up there had the dumbo ears, it must be a Canadian DOT thing.

Bingo! That's more than likely the reason for the Canadian diff.
When I went through my last roadside inspection (they see me comin' I swear!) the inspector said my 'SS' mirrors weren't DOT compliant. I explained that they were factory for the SS & Sport models.
Now, on the rear of my truck I have an SS logo, that is actually a cut-up Monte Carlo SS logo. Lower bottom right hand corner of the tailgate. One of the other inspectors, a younger guy, agreed with me. He actually said to the older guy, "look, it's an SS", pointing at the logo. Good thing they didn't look under the hood! No SS or Sport model ever came with a 6! HA! Dumbass government employees!

takkotime

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, it was only a 1988-90 thing up here apparently. Everythhing had the Dumbo mirrors. After 90, my 93 SS's and 91 Sport all came with the little mirrors. My 90 SS has the dumbos as do all 90 SS's up here. 91-up are all little unless they were ordered different or changed out.