91' K1500 1 ton solid axle Big Block trail rig/rock crawler build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle118

Reaction score
Nice build.
Sorry to see such a nice truck getting used on the rocks. We run the Rubicon with smaller trucks, usually starting with junkyard bodies and frames and going up from there.
Rock crawling's a blast! Enjoy your new truck. It'll have more than enough power.

Thanks it hides it’s flaws well though the fenders cab corners and rockers have all been fixed once since I’ve owned the truck and they need it again so it’s not pristine by any means. And when I do crawl it I don’t plan on doing much where I will bash it up to badly especially until I get experience wheeling a truck Offroad. Plenty of experience Offroad in general in other things but not crawling in a full-size so I’ll start tame. I’m overbuilding everything on purpose now so I have a rig that’s way more capable than I am so hopefully I can grow into its capability

JackWagon92

Reaction score
I'll definitely be following this one. I'm getting ready to do my 93 full-size Blazer with a Cherokee chief dana 44 and been reading every SAS thread I can find for months.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice build.
Sorry to see such a nice truck getting used on the rocks. We run the Rubicon with smaller trucks, usually starting with junkyard bodies and frames and going up from there.
Rock crawling's a blast! Enjoy your new truck. It'll have more than enough power.

Yeah, the GMT 400's and newer are virtual behemoths in the back country. Here in Colorado there's a lot of places where full size trucks just can't go because of width and turning radius........even a SWB RC truck.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are going to be rock crawling, you might want to put lockers in. ARB makes a nice air lockers. I have front/middle/rear factory e-lockers on my FZJ80 and it will go anywhere.

BigTuna

Reaction score
I will be watching your build as I am doing something similar on a 1999 two (2) door Tahoe: 4x4, 6 inch lift, 5.7 Vortec.
My donor truck is a 2003 Chevy 2500HD with a Whipple Supercharged Vortec 8100 (496ci), Obviously I bought the donor truck for the motor, however I would also like to use the 3/4 ton rear end (8 lug with disc brakes) to add to my HD upgrade. I will also have to contend with finding out what I need to do on how to convert my 4x4 1/2 ton IFS front end to a 8 lug 3/4 ton front end.
ANY BODY READING THIS PLEASE OFFER ANY SUGGESTIONS ON CONVERTING 1/2 TON TO 3/4 TON FOR THIS BUILD, THANKS.

Kyle118

Reaction score
If you are going to be rock crawling, you might want to put lockers in. ARB makes a nice air lockers. I have front/middle/rear factory e-lockers on my FZJ80 and it will go anywhere.

It will get good lockers front and rear eventually, but for now for budgeting reasons I am going to be running the factory Gov lock in the 14 bolt till I break it, and in the front I haven’t decided yet. Some stuff is going to have to stay basic/factory to start off so I can get the truck done then upgrade as I get time and funds to do so, or break the stock pieces

Kyle118

Reaction score
Did a little more work this weekend. finished up the 203/205 doubler.
Next up is to get the 14Bolt finished up so i can roll the 10 bolt out from under the truck and get them swapped and the back half of the swap will be done.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I could be wrong since I've never owned one but I believe some trasnfer cases came 'open' front to rear, was it for AWD instead of select-able 4WD vehicles? I heard stories that from the factory on the open/open/open drive train, the single tire with the least traction will spin on the slightest grassy incline leaving you stuck where a normal 2wd behind you might be able to pull away.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it was just something I heard a long time ago.