1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Love the progress updates, keep up the good work!

RTV is perfectly fine for sealing up 95% of a classic tractor. The other 5% is high pressure like head gaskets and hydraulics. Hell, Ive even sealed up a tire with RTV when I didn't want to run a tube, its still holding air today.

And I've never seen a camo tractor, that would be interesting for sure! Usually tractor restorations are to take off or tape the important stuff, clean everything with engine degreaser, and put 5 gallons of implement paint similar to rustoleum on it. Either through a cheap 1-time use siphon gun, an airless sprayer or the old fashioned brush. I have seen a few show tractors that have the full automotive paint done to them (primer, base color, then clear with wet sanding and polishing). They look beautiful but not normal or work-ready.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks for that info and boost of confidence there Rich! I have not done anything else to the tractor other than move it over a bit to make room in the laneway. ;)

HAHA I have never seen a camo tractor either. well other than the lawnmower my old buddy Ross did up so he could keep hunting with his degenerative joint disease, hes the one I made a treestand for that is the same pitch as a step ladder.

when I get to painting I will clean the metal up with the engine degreaser I bought to clean up that POS sebring motor. now I just need to find an vehicle that uses that kind of coolant and give it to them, I'm sticking far away from mopar LOL. Then I will use a random orbital sander on everything but that's as far as my thoughts go.

it wont ever be original but it will be very usefull. here is what they looked like originally. I kind of like it.

You must be registered for see images attach

But I will not be painting it those colors.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
HAHA!

Actually, I do have a little JD 318. it's a 1983 but with a newer 1994 onan engine. well it's actually my FIL's but I have it. he wont agree to sell it to me or give it to me but has said I can use it all I want. well it needs new rubber and some hydraulic lines and I'm hesitant to fork the money over to fix someone else's machine.

it would be a sweet little tractor especially if I was to find the loader for it..... theres an investment right there in just the loader.

I'm keeping it safe and dry and I'm sure one day we can finally strike a deal on it. I did a bunch of work on it already and got it up and running and drove it right into the back of my garage! HAHA pissing hydraulic fluid everywhere!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Growing up my grandfather would only own John Deere's and Ford 8N tractors. First thing I ever drove was a 50's ford 8n sitting on grandpa's lap. I think I was 3 or 4. Couldn't reach the clutch petal but could steer it in some what a straight line. If I had to make big turn he would help. Next thing I drove was a JD 4020 still couldn't reach and petals but could drive it around a turn by myself. I'd love to get that 8N from my cousin that is now running the farm and bring it back to its former glory. He never uses it but im sure he would never sell it.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
even 30-40 years later. apparently that lil 318 is still worth like $3-4000 (of course CAD). and if someone is selling just the loader alone, (which is rare) and if it comes with all the hydraulics cuz theres a couple important pieces to make that loader work right, people want $3-4000 for just the loader alone! now if this loader is attached to a machine and the machine is fully operational, $8000. but it usually comes with some extra goodies like the mower deck and snow blower. cuz if someone gets the loader you bet they got everything else and are NOT willing to separate anything and they darn right know the value they are sitting on. people dont sell these lil 318 machines very often around me and if they do they want big money for them. that's why I parked it in the back of my garage behind my log splitter, a couple mini bikes and another lawnmower. hahaha! I have been offered $2000 for it by a guy who just learned I had one in my possession. it's not for sale!

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
WOW! I just looked up pictures of a 318 and saw one with a loader and a backhoe on it, another one had a tiller and a snowblower on it, lol! I bet those are worth a chunk of change, thats a pretty versatile little lawn and garden tractor! Pretty much anything that you would need a bigger tractor for you can attach to that little guy. Pretty cool if your limited on storage space

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You pay a lot for that green paint :anitoof:
Yeah you do. I'm not a tractor person so the whole battle between brands means nothing to me. Weird thing about him. If the truck/car broke down it was fix it with baling wire and tape. But one of the tractors went down which every brand it was Ford or Deere they where out within hours either fixing or hauling it to the shop no matter the cost.