1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yeah you do. I'm not a tractor person so the whole battle between brands means nothing to me. Weird thing about him. If the truck/car broke down it was fix it with baling wire and tape. But one of the tractors went down which every brand it was Ford or Deere they where out within hours either fixing or hauling it to the shop no matter the cost.
I bet the tractors brought in the money and the cars just brought him to town.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet the tractors brought in the money and the cars just brought him to town.
They brought in most of the money. The car was my grandmothers and only went to town when she did until she decided not to renew her license and stopped driving. Then it was on Sundays to chruch. The truck worked just as hard as the tractors but it got neglected. If he had calves to sell he had a rack made that fit in the bed to keep them in. He would haul 6-7 at a time. Had a cow or bull to sell. Load it in the bed of the truck. His idea of changing spark plug wires was open the hood when it was dark out and see what ones where arcing. Then taping it where it was arcing till they stopped. Need a u-joint replaced I got plenty of baling wire.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
not much to update except I now have fenders!

My father in law who gave me the tractor finally saw how far I've come and what was holding me back from actually using it. he told me he paid $500 for it and I might almost have that much into as well. he has offered to get the fluids for me as he believed he had 5 gallons of both gear oil and hydraulic fluid at home.

theres not much left to do except install the lights and the lighting harness, add those fluids and rebuild the carb.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
THanks Rich!

Well, I removed all the broken lights off the fenders and then I rebuilt the rear amber/red flashing ones and put them back on.

I put 2 new headlights on as the old ones were junk. I'm debating if there is any reasone for me to add any more headlights and I dont really think that there is.

I have tested but have not yet installed the rear red or rear spot light. I discovered that this rear light also has a wire that makes the red bulb flash! it's really interesting and I cant believe that this old antique rear light even works let alone fully functions. this kind of light was on this tractor when new but it would have been a 6Volt and not usable. I'm really glad it's 12Volts as it doesn't actually specify anything and I have no friggen idea how to open it!

I have not installed the relay wiring harnesses or ran the wires.

I have more than enough hydraulic fluid thanks to my FIL but I still need 5 entire gallons of 80w90 gear oil.

I'm getting there!

Well, I guess I didnt take any pics and its dark out now, actually that might help illuminate the lights a bit since they are not wired.... BRB.....

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Oh I forgot one other thing.... Iv been working on the 3 point "eagle hitch" leveler as it was completely seized! been just soaking it with wd40 for about 2 months. it slowly started to move. I didnt want to use like liquid wrench on it as I didnt want to like clean it and I thought wd40 will push any water out and help keep future water out... then I was finally able to get grease to flow into the fittings and the leveler started to move a bit further each time. I did start with wire brushing the threads prior to the WD but I wire brushed again prior to really getting it moving. after getting grease in and moving it back and fourth or up and down eventually it just let go and absolutely started functioning 100% without any fighting whatsoever and I leveled it with a laser level. LMAO

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Thanks man! I appreciate the insite. It actually does have those dimples. I sat down with it, looked it over closely and though, how in the hell did they put these together? then I thought they must have put it together like a gun, these "dimples" have to be a release somehow! I briefly tried and then I discovered that the second wire was not a ground and was the red flashing bulb and so I thought screw it! I don't need to take it apart at all, I'll figure that out later if it ever burns out a bulb! lol