1956 case 311 tractor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I do need to address the coolant. its bright green but is not good enough to withstand our winters. I can easily drain both the engine and the rad as I have done that already and added what concentrate coolant I had on hand but it wasnt enough. I just bought another bottle of concentrate so I will need to drain it again and remix. it's just a huge PITA to capture the coolant rushing out friggen pisssing everywhere lol. I need a hose that fits inside the petcock....

a severe cold start up requirement is to drain the oil, drain the coolant and take them inside and heat them up to certain temps then reinstall and carry on. so there has to be a convenient way of capturing the coolant, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
heres that valve cover and the bracket I tried to use to help evenly press the center down. it didnt make a lick of a difference! I even cleaned and primed it up. it's still on there but it wont remain.

You must be registered for see images attach

here you can see where the oil is leaking out in the middle.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there has to be a convenient way of capturing the coolant, I just haven't figured it out yet.
HF has a cheaper version of this guy, you can stick the tube down in the radiator, trans dip stick tube, etc and suck it out in no time.

I tried to use to help evenly press the center down. it didnt make a lick of a difference! I even cleaned and primed it up.
You may need to pound out the outer lip to flatten the mating surface. RTV will help seal it too.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
hey thanks Peter! I came up with a syphon pump that uses an outboard primer bulb to initiate the syphon or to pump without being able to start a syphon... I used it to empty the lawnmower differential oil and it worked perfect! I have been thinking about making another one of those but dedicated for coolant. I absolutely have another outboard primer bulb and lots of extra hoses.

I'm pretty darn good with a ball peen hammer and I have been looking at how I could, unwarp it but very hesitant to even try. damn I need an anvil like you have! haha I have a couple options I should try.

thanks for the ideas!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
well here I am, the old gasket had broken but was not the source of the oil leak anyways. the valve cover was about 1/8" bowed on one side. I have it almost straight again and everything had been cleaned and dried and I'm guna RTV the sucker on while the weather is still warm. if you can call 8°C or about 42°F warm. I wish I could just find a gasket but whatever..... if it can seal a transfercase it can seal a valve cover!

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Alright I put the body back on! I also wrapped the valve cover up to keep it warm while the rtv cures, at least to stop the cold wind from blowing directly on it.

I had my 16 year old daughter help me do this and she was the one who tightened up the nuts and bolts and she surprisingly almost tightened them up all the way. we also put the front receiver back on.

Last edited: