14 Bolt Swap How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stepside90

Reaction score
I literally just finished my 14 bolt swap in last night.me and my buddy Scotty put the tools away an cleaned up at just before midnight ! Haha whew.the best part was when everything lined up and my driveshaft angle, that had been so horrendously steep(17°!) An was just chewing my u-joints up now sits perfectly! Id like to get a more heavy-duty driveshaft to go along with the diff.anyone know just how much the stock steel driveshafts can handle?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I literally just finished my 14 bolt swap in last night.me and my buddy Scotty put the tools away an cleaned up at just before midnight ! Haha whew.the best part was when everything lined up and my driveshaft angle, that had been so horrendously steep(17°!) An was just chewing my u-joints up now sits perfectly! Id like to get a more heavy-duty driveshaft to go along with the diff.anyone know just how much the stock steel driveshafts can handle?

I wouldn't worry about it if your running a stock engine

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
May need to get a proportioning valve from a donor truck with a 14, yes. Seems like not everybody has this problem, but many do. The other option is swap over brakes from the 10-bolt onto the 14, I believe everything bolts up IIRC. However the bigger brakes are a huge advantage to the 14. Great for getting heavy loads stopped.

Rep to the OP for a good writeup.

I will need a prop. valve or the one out of a 3/4 with that axle. My rear end locks up first on gravel or asphalt. I just drive accordingly for now though.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I will need a prop. valve or the one out of a 3/4 with that axle. My rear end locks up first on gravel or asphalt. I just drive accordingly for now though.

mine does that on my new CC to

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
FYI for anyone interested in this swap, not all 1/2ton trucks had a 1310 u-joint on the driveshaft. My 88 has a Saginaw S44 u-joint. Precision makes a conversion from 1350 to S44.

you care if i add that to the orig post?