14 Bolt Full Float Drum Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to replace my shoes on the rear brakes. I've got the axle out, retaining ring and c clip out. Tried pulling the drum off and no go. It feels like it's caught on something. Is there a trick to this?

Sent from my 454

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
loosen the adjuster. Shoes are probably pressed against the drum keeping it from coming off. If that doesn't work, hammertime

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to pry the things off. I have about a 1/4" of pad remaining. I have no idea about drum brakes, this the first I've ever worked on them. I have everything to rebuild them: springs, wheel cylinders, and a self adjusting kit. The only reason I started this was because when I was hauling a 20' car trailer with a 1 ton conversion can the rear brakes sounded like they were grinding hard.
You must be registered for see images attach

Should I rebuild them now or just clean everything up?

Sent from my 454

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shoe that's towards the rear has a little more pad left than the other shoe

Sent from my 454

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, on the full floaters, the drum and hub are one piece?

I absolutely hate working on drum brakes. The whole assembly looks too complicated for what it has to do, as far as I'm concerned. Could never figure out why they just didn't go to disks at the rear and be done with it. Even if they had to put a handbrake mechanism in there somehow.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

So disassembled the entire assembly decided I'll just rebuild it while I have it apart. Well the pins in the wheel cylinder came out so going to have to replace those luckily I bought them just in case.

Sent from my 454

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Father in law was a great help once he got over. He's a mechanic on Porsches for a local guy. Great help went well. Will be doing a disc brake swap down the road. I'll get some more pics and instructions when I do the other side tomorrow

Sent from my 454

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I just rebuilt mine today. All new down to the backing plates haha. I hate drums brakes. I agree with Ironhead. Disc brake swap is in my future.

ZachT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here. I'm going to look into milling out my own adapter plates to swap discs out

Sent from my 454