13" brakes on a 14bSF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 14bSF rear end out of a 8 lug 4x4 Suburban from the pick-n-pull. I then got 6 lug shafts out of another 14b (k1500) truck and slapped them in. Now I'm doing my brakes and... all the 11" parts I bought are too small, including the drums. The original brakes on the axle are definitely 13". The drums are both too small and don't even reach the backing plate all the way.

I thought only the FF had the 13" brakes? Can I change to the 11" backing plates and have everything work or do I have to start over with a different axle?

I'd definitely like the 13" brakes if I can get 6 lug drums for it but I'll stick with the 11s if thats what I have to do to stay 6 lug.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a 14bSF rear end out of a 8 lug 4x4 Suburban from the pick-n-pull. I then got 6 lug shafts out of another 14b (k1500) truck and slapped them in. Now I'm doing my brakes and... all the 11" parts I bought are too small, including the drums. The original brakes on the axle are definitely 13". The drums are both too small and don't even reach the backing plate all the way.

I thought only the FF had the 13" brakes? Can I change to the 11" backing plates and have everything work or do I have to start over with a different axle?

I'd definitely like the 13" brakes if I can get 6 lug drums for it but I'll stick with the 11s if thats what I have to do to stay 6 lug.

The axle tube lengths are different from 6 lug to 8.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The eight lug shafts go with the big drums. My k2500 has the 14 bolt. Bigger shoes and drums. And has 6 lug wheels. Can you get the 6 lug backing plates? My k2500 has locker and 3.73.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The eight lug shafts go with the big drums. My k2500 has the 14 bolt. Bigger shoes and drums. And has 6 lug wheels. Can you get the 6 lug backing plates? My k2500 has locker and 3.73.

The bigger drums are also deeper which is why the axle tubes are different lengths. So while he needs them for a factory 6 lug setup, they won't do him any good on an 8 lug housing.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bigger drums are also deeper which is why the axle tubes are different lengths. So while he needs them for a factory 6 lug setup, they won't do him any good on an 8 lug housing.

Yep, I put the 6 lug drums (and shafts) on the 8 lug housing and they were not even close to touching the backing plate.