12200411 PCM swap for 1996 to 2000 GMT400 trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3rd Coast Z

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did my 0411 swap a few months ago and just now got around to having it custom tuned. I am having problems getting the crank relearn done for one reason or another. I'm thinking it will not work because the ABS light is on. I have 4.56 gears so the VSS is reading a different speed than the speed sensors on the front hubs. I have found a couple devices that say they will fix the signal coming from the VSS to match the signal coming from front hub sensors. They are the Abbott ERA and the Superlift ABS recalibrators. Does anyone else have experience doing a crank relearn on a vehicle with 4.56s or lower?

3rd Coast Z

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ahead an ordered the Superlift 34000 ABS Recalibrator. I am running out of time before I have to get the truck inspected so I guess I will throw parts at it. I'll update after install.

Trav_69Stang

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did mine a few weeks ago, had it tuned and just did the crank relearn yesterday and have been having issues getting the damn fuel trims to match on both banks. Changed a O2 sensor and fixed part of the problem. Not to fix the rest of it with permatex... Still need to get my fans wired in, just have no idea how to do it

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've relearned running 4.88....crank relearn has nothing to do with ABS or gear ratio, its only teaching the PCM to recognize the Crank reluctor position. gearing should have no effect on it...the ABS module is completely separate from the PCM as well. so your ABS light should be a separate issue from the 411 PCM or tune.

3rd Coast Z

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've relearned running 4.88....crank relearn has nothing to do with ABS or gear ratio, its only teaching the PCM to recognize the Crank reluctor position. gearing should have no effect on it...the ABS module is completely separate from the PCM as well. so your ABS light should be a separate issue from the 411 PCM or tune.

My tuner said when he tried the relearn that the speedo was registering something when it shouldn't. Maybe the VSS is bad?

Sent from my iOuternet using Tapatalk

Big2500Red

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I've been a member on FSC for a long time and it's dead and a lot more info on here. Does anyone know about wiring in a ls1 fan into the 0411? I've had one sitting around for almost a year and I have just about everything for the swap.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a MarkVIII fan on my 411, its a 2 speed single fan, it'd be pretty similar to a LS1 fan set except instead of high and low speed you'd just have fan 1 and fan 2...here's an article on it:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/markviii.html

the first part of the article isn't about the 411, but if you scroll down to the addendum at the end of the article, that's the part about the 411 I wrote.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If we can swap the Black Box PCM with the 411 PCM to make our trucks run better and have more support with the tuning community, then can't we also lose the Black Box PCM when we swap in an 5.3/6.0? Every thing I have read about swapping in a newer LS engine talks about using the new PCM from the donor but still using the Black Box for controlling the anti-lock brakes, speedometer and other non engine/trans functions.

If I re-pin a 411 to work with the 5.7 Vortec under the hood now, when I swap in a 5.3 or 6.0 will I have to re-pin the 411 back to how it was originally, and then put the Black Box back under the hood?

Thanks

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was hoping you would respond to my question. Your name comes up in a few forums where I have been trying to gather information.

Looks like I will be getting a 2002 donor Tahoe to pick at with a 5.3 on Monday to replace the broken 5.7 in my 97 2x Tahoe. I'll be using the current 4l60e that is in the 97. Is there any sort of wire diagram / pin location chart kind of thing that can help with the re-pinning task to remove the Black Box completely so I only have the 411?