K2XX / 2015 style Towing Mirror Disassembly How To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
The way mine came from ebay had the backup light on it's own circuit and the clearance light and glass signal wired together. I had to re-wire the mirrors to get the wired how I want AKA running separate wires fro the signals and clearance lights inside the mirror itself. And how far you want to take that is up to you, I used 4 diodes on each side of the clearance light to get them to work as a signal and running light. With the previous style mirror most people used those trailer tail light converters to do this but the diode is the same thing.

As far as the power adjust, mine were from a 99-02 and had 3 adjust wires. I just played around after un-pinning them to get it to work, however being mine were 3-wire 99-02 style I don't know if the same thing needs to happen with the 88-98 style.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way mine came from ebay had the backup light on it's own circuit and the clearance light and glass signal wired together. I had to re-wire the mirrors to get the wired how I want AKA running separate wires fro the signals and clearance lights inside the mirror itself. And how far you want to take that is up to you, I used 4 diodes on each side of the clearance light to get them to work as a signal and running light. With the previous style mirror most people used those trailer tail light converters to do this but the diode is the same thing.

As far as the power adjust, mine were from a 99-02 and had 3 adjust wires. I just played around after un-pinning them to get it to work, however being mine were 3-wire 99-02 style I don't know if the same thing needs to happen with the 88-98 style.
I may just unhook the signal in the glass and have the clearance tied in to the 194 for a marker and signal light, then wire the reverse light to my courtesy lights so they come on when i lock or unlock my doors with the remote like on newer vehicles.
For the adjustments, its 4 wires going into the 4 pon connector like the factory mirrors.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
that would work, however keep in mind the way they are wired you will only have signal or clearance light on the amber one since it's ground it tied with the other lights. If you want to make it both you have to separate it out at which point you might as well wire the glass signal up.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that would work, however keep in mind the way they are wired you will only have signal or clearance light on the amber one since it's ground it tied with the other lights. If you want to make it both you have to separate it out at which point you might as well wire the glass signal up.
Ok, ill probably just keep it a clearance light only then, i dont want to mess up a set of $200 mirrors lol, especially with my little knowledge of wiring. Thanks for the help!

BigKahuna

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn, trucks not even done yet and I am ordering mirrors!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have a 96, so i have the 4 wire, the power mirror would not work. i tried all pin combos....i had to take mirror motor apart, cut one motor ground and run a wire to it to work with the factory 4 wire switch. i took pics, will post on my page when done, but i did get them working properly... up is up, left is left ,etc....

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These ones should bolt right on our trucks without switching bases. I really like these mirrors but I can't find ones with heat. I really like that feature on the tow mirrors I have on my truck now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-98-Chevy...mps-/281861175974?vxp=mtr&hash=item41a03c3aa6
yeah i saw them, i wanted the loaded ones, and thought defrost would be great in the crappy winters in new england....its been a super mild one, im sure we will get hammered soon. haha.

i just posted a bunch of pics on how i got mirrors to work for 88-98 trucks. on "my page",
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/96-ce...el-4x4-standerd-bed.21561/page-43#post-878323