K2XX / 2015 style Towing Mirror Disassembly How To

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Ok, I reread back through it. Someone confirm that I've got this straight now, since I had it confused the first two times.

No one on ebay is currently selling GMTK200 style mirrors for a GMT400 that are fully optioned. But they do sell GMTK200 style mirrors for a GMT800 that are fully optioned. Now that makes since.

If that is all the case, and anyone is interested. I have a FACTORY set of GMTK200 mirrors without the bases that I will sell for $700. They have never been mounted and are fully optioned. They're $900 new.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Ok, I reread back through it. Someone confirm that I've got this straight now, since I had it confused the first two times.

No one on ebay is currently selling GMTK200 style mirrors for a GMT400 that are fully optioned. But they do sell GMTK200 style mirrors for a GMT800 that are fully optioned. Now that makes since.

If that is all the case, and anyone is interested. I have a FACTORY set of GMTK200 mirrors without the bases that I will sell for $700. They have never been mounted and are fully optioned. They're $900 new.

Sorry for the thread derail, but I'd like to share something.

Just a psa for everyone here, the new truck platform does not carry GMT in front of it, K2XX is it. I'm going to paste the contents of a PM I exchanged (on another forum) with someone who works in GM Full Size Truck Engineering and who started in Chevrolet Flint Assembly, assembling square bodies.

Official Source said:
83GMCK2500 said:
Howdy,

I really appreciate your contributions and shared knowledge from your years within GM, I find it very fascinating. I am familiar with the model codes such as CC10903 (chevy, 2wd, 1/2 ton, long bed, regular cab if I did that right...), and I am familiar with the general platform codes of GMT-400, -800, -900, and I think the Trailblazers were -355, yes? Recently in a thread you referred to the second generation Escalades as -820C. I was not aware that GMT-800 could be further expanded. Do you know where I might find an index or glossary of all the platform codes? I am fascinated by GM's designations, I don't know why, but I am. :eek:

Also, a friend and I were having a debate recently about the new trucks, K2XX. He thinks that GMT precedes K2XX, ex. GMT-K2XX, but I disagree. I dug up this information:
1st position is the platform.

A - Alpha
D – Delta
G – Gamma
E – Epsilon
P – Premium Epsilon
Y – Corvette
L – Lambda
K – Trucks

2nd position is platform generation. For example, Alpha would be "1," Epsilon II would be "2."

3rd is vehicle type/body style.

S – Sedan
J – Hatchback
L – Long Wheel Base Sedan
U – Crossover
Y – SUV/Truck
A – Convertible
B – Coupe

And 4th is brand.

4th Position is brand:
C – Chevrolet
L – Cadillac
B – Buick
O – Opel
G – GMC
and I was wondering if you can confirm/refute/correct it? I am under the impression that "GMT" stood for general motors truck and if that is the case it would be redundant with the first digit "K" meaning truck. Also, if the quoted text is correct, what was K1XX?

Thank you for any insight and info that you might be able to share.

Whew! Now you’ve opened up a can of worms….

(lol)

It’s very difficult to follow (and discover) these program codes even when you work here. There are various cheat sheets floating around but finding them can be daunting.

Back in the 2001/2002 timeframe the program codes could be broken down, as I mentioned. For example:

GMT810 – 2 door tahoe
GMT820 – 4 door SWB Utility
GMT830 – 4 door LWB Utility

And then subsets within those:

GMT820D = SWB Denali
GMT830D = LWB Denali
GMT820C = SWB Cadillac
GMT830D = LWB Cadillac

And then minor variations:

GMT805 = original Avalanche
So the Cadillac version would be …GMT805C? right? Wrong. I think it was the GMT806, for whatever reason.

By the way we use these program codes both for secrecy and so that we can refer to a particular engineering release before the marketing nameplate has been chosen. My proposal for a Cadillac version of an Avalanche was “Escalanche” but you can see how well that was received…

In any event I think some of the above information is also shown on Wikipedia.

You are correct about the K2 naming: The current offering is simply a K2XX (no GMT), where the “XX” portion is a wildcard which can be replaced with more specific information when known or relevant, ie K2UG, K2UC, K2RC, K2RG represent various pickup, utility, wheelbase and nameplate configurations. Adding a “Z” to the end makes it a “heavy duty” version.

Following this same logic (or lack thereof) there was no K1XX. We just jumped right to K2XX.

We are already working on the next generation truck. They can’t seem to decide what to call it so it depends on what week it is. Neither of the proposed naming systems match what was done previously.

My opinion is that we hurtled through the GMT400/800/900 nomeclature too quickly and therefore had to invent a new system of coding when we had a current system that worked pretty well.

K

Anyone else's head spinning?

Again, sorry about the derail in your thread David.

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
^^Thank you.

BTW, X has always been a wild card, even in the GMT series. But common place has been to just state the start of the series. Actually using X hasn't caught on until the new platform because of some weird online algorithm.

Edit: I also have a very well known history of working on the truck platform at GM. If you know what I mean. My Grandpa was the General. Tred lightly if unconfirmed.

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so the 99-02 base is nbs only? got pics of the base's and how different they are? i just ordered a set and figured id hold off on ordering a 88-98 set to steal the bases until i saw how the 99-02 base looked and if i can mod it to work....are they so different you could not get to fit? or did you just take the easy road knowing you had a set of bases that fit and already had it apart?

nickthehick78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
screw it, after looking into it some more they will fit and can be trimmed but i cant live with it not being right.....just ordered a set of the old style and till steal the bases........hey! anyone want to buy a brand new set of mirrors??? hahaha no for real, message me...

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
so the 99-02 base is nbs only? got pics of the base's and how different they are? i just ordered a set and figured id hold off on ordering a 88-98 set to steal the bases until i saw how the 99-02 base looked and if i can mod it to work....are they so different you could not get to fit? or did you just take the easy road knowing you had a set of bases that fit and already had it apart?

screw it, after looking into it some more they will fit and can be trimmed but i cant live with it not being right.....just ordered a set of the old style and till steal the bases........hey! anyone want to buy a brand new set of mirrors??? hahaha no for real, message me...

They are just a different shape and style, they don't really "fit" and there isn't much you can do to trim them to fit because of how they are molded.

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my mirrors are currently apart for color match chrome like yours! And also rewiring, the forward facing amber lights are on with the running lights then blink when the turn signals on? can u go into a little detail how you did that. I have an idea how to accomplish it, but curious what you did..

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry^ just saw disclaimer about wiring... pm me about it if youd like to fill me in. thanks!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to wire up my clearance lights, and guess what i discovered? The wire they say is the clearance light (white) is actually for the backup light. The wire that is supposed to be the turn signal light (blue) is the turn and clearance light. Am i the only one with this problem?
Ps-I still cant figure out how the power adjustment is supposed to be wired up.