I got a F*rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those were great trucks. Probably has a fuel injected 460. FYI if the trans goes you can put a 4R100 in it. Other than that those trucks were comfortable and dependable. They are also very sought after especially crew cabs and duallies.
I own and owned multiple ford and GM. I found Fords to be very reliable vehicles. I eventually went to Ford Superduty trucks. I still have my old GMC as that’s a wife and I first truck

Reaction score
It's nice to have a Ford. Used to have a super duty I got for free for scrap. Turned out to be in a lot better shape than everyone thought just the bed was unsalvageable. Built a wooden flatbed and played around in it till a forced COVID leave because I was exposed during a meeting at work but tested negative caused me to have to sell it. My job at the time only paid you for the leave if you tested positive even tho they refused to let me work.

Sorry got sidetracked. But I did things in that Ford I would never do to a Chevy. It's a lot of fun having a 4wd you aren't too worried about hurting. Had it going sideways in the snow heading right for the river wife screaming the whole time I was having a blast.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you get to Idaho, stop by and say "Hi". I'm on my way out the door to pick up a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali for my wife. Got it for $2400! Score!
So, got a deal on an '89 F350 that belongs to my fiancé's family. They were gonna scrap it out, but she and I were able to snag it for just above scrap value for $500. It's been sitting about 8 years I think? It's a neat old conversion truck, that I haven't actually seen in person, but fiancé was describing her memories of the truck, and I decided to jump on getting it for her. crew cab dually, 2wd, XLT Lariat, with what seems all the cool factory options. Plan is to haul it down from Idaho, and slowly throw a few parts at it here and there and get her back on the road in the next couple of years.

Attachments

• 00t0t_3VX9eQS1D29_0CI0hr_600x450.jpg
    00t0t_3VX9eQS1D29_0CI0hr_600x450.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 6

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve had to put brake calipers on every single one, even these “nice low mile” examples.
Do those come with the plastic pistons in the calipers? I remember in the 80s when fomoco and Mopar vehicles (including the bigger pickups) were having these from the factory and locking up when they got warm. I remember an F250 with pizza rotors and all sorts of melted stuff in the front brakes(and IIRC it didn't have many miles on it either).

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do those come with the plastic pistons in the calipers? I remember in the 80s when fomoco and Mopar vehicles (including the bigger pickups) were having these from the factory and locking up when they got warm. I remember an F250 with pizza rotors and all sorts of melted stuff in the front brakes(and IIRC it didn't have many miles on it either).
I dont remember noticing but one caliper having had the phenolic resin piston, all the replacements we got from Napa had metal ones.

The five we’ve had at the shop have all been good trucks. They’re just (for me) aggravating to work on. Like the calipers have these goofy slide pins that need to be squeezed and hammered out to remove the caliper. The front brake hoses are a nightmare on the body side.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I dont remember noticing but one caliper having had the phenolic resin piston, all the replacements we got from Napa had metal ones.

The five we’ve had at the shop have all been good trucks. They’re just (for me) aggravating to work on. Like the calipers have these goofy slide pins that need to be squeezed and hammered out to remove the caliper. The front brake hoses are a nightmare on the body side.
That was one of many reasons why I got shut of the 2001 F150 King Ranch supercrew we had. It needed lots of specific tools that I didn't have, and Ford specific knowledge I didn't have. A buddy who is a mechanic said that I just didn't know how to work on Fords (true, I've had GM stuff and a couple of later Mopar s). The biggie with that one was that I would have to drop several grand in it for complete cooling system replacement and the transmission overhaul. Basically what I spent on a reasonably functional and much more capable Chevrolet the next year.....

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Lotsa hoseage in that engine bay picture... them B-stards at feerd really knew how to complicate things... :)

But a 460, C6, Gear vendor OD combo sounds pretty sweet for haulin stuff. Not 8.1L 4l80e sweet but still.;) And you got it basically for free. Great find.
Hoping to get her pulled down here this summer. Plan is to completely blow her apart & restore and paint everything that I can get to. I'd like to blast and POR-15 the entire frame, as well as the bottom of the cab & bed. then do every inch of brake lines and fuel lines in stainless. Fiancé is super excited to restore this truck. She has memories with her family in it.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had my shop I fixed more 89's than any other year Ford built. My brother in law gave me an 89 F150. The body and interior were in perfect condition but the MPFI 302 wouldn't pull itself out of a wet paper sack and the E4OD shuddered in OD. I traded it off for a 79 C8000 with a 3208 and turned that into a roll back.
Wish you luck with yours!!!