Should I swap a 383?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, you're talking maintenance versus longevity.

Properly maintained 6.0 has no issues.

Why do I have a 285k mile stock 6.0 and 4L80E in my 03?

How about the STOCK cam bearing, 7500rpm 6.0 that was in my shortbed, then my Chevelle. It had 179k on it when I checked it out in 2019.
How about the numerous properly maintained fleet vans and trucks that have munched cam bearings, cams and lifters. It is very common.

Properly maintained SBC is issue free as well provided you get the crappy design of intake gaskets off the Vortecs. I have worked on multiple 350s approaching 1 million and numerous over 500K.

I have also worked on an 8.1L that had over 20,000 hours of heavy duty use on Propane on the bottom end.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t pull an even semi heavy load up a hill past 2000 rpm and it just sucks to tow with in general.
I’m trying to pull cattle in a stock trailer and other loads 20k max
Yeah, you need a big block or a diesel. Skip the LS swaps, they won't have the torque you need either.

WHAT IS YOUR TRUCK RATED TO PULL? You get into a "situation" where the cops are involved, and they find out you're overloaded, there will be questions to answer, and paperwork to fill out. If someone gets injured...you're in deep doo-doo.
A buddy of mine was in a tight spot and had to move a grain trailer (if I remember right) with his GMT400. As soon as he pulled out onto the rural highway, a cop came over the hill, U-turned, and hit him with a four-figure fine.

Mbosse

Reaction score
I stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Firstly it struggles with semi heavy loads, 20k would be my max. I don’t have cop issues in my area. I’m in a very rural area pulling cows to pasture. I have guys around me pulling goosenecks with full loads of 14 bales. I’m a farmer. I just wanted to know if the low end torque of the 383 would help me out. Not in the budget to do anything else and that’s the reality.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT IS YOUR TRUCK RATED TO PULL?

HOW MUCH ARE YOU ACTUALLY PULLING? ("up to" 20K, I guess.)

I have the sense that this truck is grossly overloaded, which is why you won't answer the first question. Even if you get a big engine to pulll faster, you don't have the brakes to stop it, and maybe not the stability of a "dually" to keep it on the road. The weak engine is acting as a safety-factor for you.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Firstly it struggles with semi heavy loads, 20k would be my max. I don’t have cop issues in my area. I’m in a very rural area pulling cows to pasture. I have guys around me pulling goosenecks with full loads of 14 bales. I’m a farmer. I just wanted to know if the low end torque of the 383 would help me out. Not in the budget to do anything else and that’s the reality.
I grew up on the farm, and remain heavily involved in agricultural communities. So I understand the relaxed focus on safety that would accompany those who do interstate hauling. I also understand the farmer perspective of funding deficiencies. It sucks. I see it alot.
Here's my advice. Don't bother to spend the money on a 383, it won't be enough improvement for the money spent in your situation. Rather, if you're going to keep the truck, find a big block (454) and swap that in.
Yes, a 383 "can" do what a 454 does, but you're on the farm, the environment isn't conducive to longevity of performance motors. (unless you're not the typical farmer!)
Personally, I'd put a cummins into it, but that is a different can of worms that not everyone is open to. It's easier than you think, if you choose the correct motor.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes.

Installed a remanufactured 383 with roller cam in my 94 k1500. Stock 350 in good condition wouldn't pull mountain passes very well. Mainly against the wind on slight uphills in Nevada-Arizona-Utah I'd have to run in 2nd all day. Gas mileage wasn't good.

With 383, no problem. No comparison. In fact. it prefers low rpm so on level roads with no headwinds I'll run it in overdrive, even tho I'm not supposed. to.

Selrahc360

Reaction score
Just did one in mine (blueprint 450hp/tq crate), plus gears to fit the tires. Hauls ass now. I think I may need a different torque converter for the 700R4, but I'll wait until I toast it.
Do not worry on the 700r the 383 will toast it. Get a 4l80e and do the e delete.

Selrahc360

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a 99 crew cab 2500 5.7. last year I rebuilt my 350, I don’t think it got any crazy parts but probably built for slightly more power. But this truck does have aftermarket blueprint heads that should be very good. Shortly after I started kicking myself for not going ahead and doing a 383 since it was all getting replaced anyways. I’m not happy with trucks performance now. I can’t pull an even semi heavy load up a hill past 2000 rpm and it just sucks to tow with in general.

I’m Wanting this truck to tow a lot better and be just quicker and snappier. I’ve read everywhere and I’ve come up with very little real answers, that’s where you experts come in. I was planning to buy a smelding performance 383 short block sealed up with their biggest cam https://smedingperformance.com/coll...oducts/383-short-block?variant=30746600505402

I was gonna put my heads that can handle than cam on it, and my intake with probably some bigger injectors. But I got to reading and a lot of people said the 383 isn’t really that much better, but they were also not towing but racing. Here’s my question. For my application would a 383 be worth it or should I just do a bigger cam on my 350 with 10k on a rebuild and some other things you guys suggest. If a 383 is worth it, does anybody know anything about the smeding performance block. I’m just not sure what to do but I definitely need to make mine better it’s just painfully doggy. Incase it matters I’m also doing a 411 computer swap and hoping to tune it, if it’s a tuning issue. Thanks any suggestions are appreciated
I have that truck it has a 383 going in a 4l80e a low gears. It should be fine even on a farm. I really is a little torque monster with free breathing heads.

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a 99 crew cab 2500 5.7. last year I rebuilt my 350, I don’t think it got any crazy parts but probably built for slightly more power. But this truck does have aftermarket blueprint heads that should be very good. Shortly after I started kicking myself for not going ahead and doing a 383 since it was all getting replaced anyways. I’m not happy with trucks performance now. I can’t pull an even semi heavy load up a hill past 2000 rpm and it just sucks to tow with in general.

I’m Wanting this truck to tow a lot better and be just quicker and snappier. I’ve read everywhere and I’ve come up with very little real answers, that’s where you experts come in. I was planning to buy a smelding performance 383 short block sealed up with their biggest cam https://smedingperformance.com/coll...oducts/383-short-block?variant=30746600505402

I was gonna put my heads that can handle than cam on it, and my intake with probably some bigger injectors. But I got to reading and a lot of people said the 383 isn’t really that much better, but they were also not towing but racing. Here’s my question. For my application would a 383 be worth it or should I just do a bigger cam on my 350 with 10k on a rebuild and some other things you guys suggest. If a 383 is worth it, does anybody know anything about the smeding performance block. I’m just not sure what to do but I definitely need to make mine better it’s just painfully doggy. Incase it matters I’m also doing a 411 computer swap and hoping to tune it, if it’s a tuning issue. Thanks any suggestions are

94_Z71

Reaction score
I put a 383 in mine a couple of years ago. And there is no comparison between the two. The stock Vortec fuel injection system is capable of supporting about 400 HP, so I had my stock engine built for 450. Brand new, a Vortec 350 was good for 250 HP. If somebody's telling you that 400+ horses isn't a dramatic improvement over 250, they don't know what they're talking about. I do not do any towing, but the thing hauls ass now. And only lost a couple miles to the gallon as far as fuel mileage goes. The only downside was I did have to replace the transmission and the rear end afterwards (they were just old and tired and couldn't handle that much engine). But I still don't regret going with the 383. An LS conversion would get better mileage though.