Black Bear tune for 383 - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EJ_74

Reaction score
Hey all. I have a 2000 C2500 and I recently swapped the 350 for a 383. It's a direct bolt in from Chevrolet Performance, has all the factory sensors, intake and fuel system, exhaust, ignition, etc. Said it would work with the stock PCM. However, it also said it was designed for half ton trucks only due to calibration differences. It seems to run good but idle is a bit rough sometimes. Getting it tuned would probably make better use of the extra displacement and bigger cam. Do you think it's going to hurt anything driving it with stock settings until I can get it tuned?

I have heard a lot of you guys recommend Black Bear performance. I contacted them last year about disabling the rear O2 sensors and they said they could but I would have to sign an offroad affidavit. I also noticed when ordering it asks for the vin. So my question is... is this just legal protection for them, they're not going to send this information to the DMV or anything so I can't get it registered on the road again, right?

And one other thing, the transmission. I have a 4L80E that was just rebuilt and upgraded a bit by a shop. They put a shift kit in it. Should I go for slightly firmer shifts in the tune or leave it alone since the transmission already has firmer shifts? And what do you think of the torque management, good idea? And if so, how much?

Any input appreciated. Thanks

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is nothing in the tuning between a 1500 and a 2500 or 3500 that would make it run a 383 any differently.

Idle is always going to be a bit rough with that camshaft.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Simply start a new conversation with Blackbear stating that it’s an off road vehicle and then they won’t ask you for the signed paper. They’ve tuned a bunch of my “off road” only vehicles