I just bought a 383 and need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbosse

Reaction score
Alright guys so I just bought a 383 and need some help before I put it in. It’s an old style block with vortec heads and a very big flat tappet camshaft. Now he ran a carbureted motor but I will be going fuel injected with the intake off of my 99. So here are my questions

1. He had said something about me maybe wanting to switch the cam to a roller cam since I was doing fuel injected but his is perfect and timed as is as well as expensive I would rather not. Is their any merit to what he said about needing to switch for fuel injection?

2. I’m also doing a 411 swap and was curious is there were tunes for a 383 out there.

3. Has anyone done this and have any super helpful tips

4. Finally I’m scared I will need a transmission I have a 4l80e. What is the most economical best option in this situation?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you know how that would work with me having a factory fuel injected pickup? Would the computer be upset and transmission shift right?
Look at the Terminator-X (I believe) it controls transmissions as well (pretty sure) that way you keep the 4L80.
The camshaft should be a non issue.
I'm sure a 411 would be able to run it.
I'm sure @L31MaxExpress will have something to say about this.....listen to him!

Mbosse

Reaction score
Look at the Terminator-X (I believe) it controls transmissions as well (pretty sure) that way you keep the 4L80.
The camshaft should be a non issue.
I'm sure a 411 would be able to run it.
I'm sure @L31MaxExpress will have something to say about this.....listen to him!
Will do I greatly appreciate it. I’m in way over my head

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will do I greatly appreciate it. I’m in way over my head
Then honestly, doing a stand alone system may be they way to go, like a Holley or Edelbrock system.
They WONT be cheap, like 3k. But if you don't have the skills to integrate a 411, it may be the best way to roll. Just follow the instructions, make sure the few wires you have to use are done right, good grounds and clean 12v, should be relatively uneventful.

Check out Eric the car guy on YouTube. His resto of his dad's truck has some videos on how he did his.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4. Finally I’m scared I will need a transmission I have a 4l80e. What is the most economical best option in this situation?
Why are you scared will need a transmission, if you have a 4L80E?

How much power is the 383 putting out?

Also what year is your 4L80E?

Look at the metal ID tag, bottom-center: there's a two-digit model year code.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are doing a 0411 swap tuning is easy. You may want an upgraded spider but hp tuners, efi live or a dongle and free software and you can tune the 0411. You will need the timing cover and crank sensor etc for a vortec use the holley i belive metal cover and you can shorten your balancer for the reluctor in a lathe. L31maxexpress is the go to on this. You can tune anything with a little time and patience. If it runs strong tune what you got

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had said something about me maybe wanting to switch the cam to a roller cam since I was doing fuel injected but his is perfect and timed as is as well as expensive I would rather not. Is their any merit to what he said about needing to switch for fuel injection?
Oils have changed and flat tappet cams are a crapshoot now. You have to be very careful breaking them in, and it's still iffy. Roller cams just work without any crazy break-in routine. It's not a requirement for fuel injection.

A 4L80 ought to be plenty of transmission for a 383. Nick will clue you in if you need any upgrades.