Should I swap a 383?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbosse

Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a 99 crew cab 2500 5.7. last year I rebuilt my 350, I don’t think it got any crazy parts but probably built for slightly more power. But this truck does have aftermarket blueprint heads that should be very good. Shortly after I started kicking myself for not going ahead and doing a 383 since it was all getting replaced anyways. I’m not happy with trucks performance now. I can’t pull an even semi heavy load up a hill past 2000 rpm and it just sucks to tow with in general.

I’m Wanting this truck to tow a lot better and be just quicker and snappier. I’ve read everywhere and I’ve come up with very little real answers, that’s where you experts come in. I was planning to buy a smelding performance 383 short block sealed up with their biggest cam https://smedingperformance.com/coll...oducts/383-short-block?variant=30746600505402

I was gonna put my heads that can handle than cam on it, and my intake with probably some bigger injectors. But I got to reading and a lot of people said the 383 isn’t really that much better, but they were also not towing but racing. Here’s my question. For my application would a 383 be worth it or should I just do a bigger cam on my 350 with 10k on a rebuild and some other things you guys suggest. If a 383 is worth it, does anybody know anything about the smeding performance block. I’m just not sure what to do but I definitely need to make mine better it’s just painfully doggy. Incase it matters I’m also doing a 411 computer swap and hoping to tune it, if it’s a tuning issue. Thanks any suggestions are appreciated

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Years ago I questioned our machine shop on the value of 350 vs 383. He said if I wanted quick revving power, stay 350. If I wanted towing torque, go 383.
The 383 won't be a slouch when tuned correctly, and it'll tow very well.
The 350 can tow too, perhaps you need yours tuned since you put heads on it that changed its breathing capacity?

Mbosse

Reaction score
Years ago I questioned our machine shop on the value of 350 vs 383. He said if I wanted quick revving power, stay 350. If I wanted towing torque, go 383.
The 383 won't be a slouch when tuned correctly, and it'll tow very well.
The 350 can tow too, perhaps you need yours tuned since you put heads on it that changed its breathing capacity?
That’s a good point, the heads were put on before I got it. I had it tuned on the old computer and it wasn’t really beneficial. I should probably try that first.

proflyer

Reaction score
Just did one in mine (blueprint 450hp/tq crate), plus gears to fit the tires. Hauls ass now. I think I may need a different torque converter for the 700R4, but I'll wait until I toast it.

Mbosse

Reaction score
Just did one in mine (blueprint 450hp/tq crate), plus gears to fit the tires. Hauls ass now. I think I may need a different torque converter for the 700R4, but I'll wait until I toast it.
What do you mean by gears?