GOT a van!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the problems i have with this van is, It sits to low and i need to raise it.
Researching around and looking at Spindle lifts for a 1500 express van i can find a 4in lift listed from Trekline motorsports for $350.

Looking at GM at the spindle part number GM 18060573. It shows to interchange with several years of c1500 gm trucks so i started looking at Rough Country for anything that fits.
They do not list anything for a van, but they do for a 1996 c1500 2wd truck that is also on the interchange list for the original part number for $399.

Comparing pictures of the two company's offerings, Im wondering if Trekline is a knock off of RC. They look identical except RC has part numbers cast into them and Trekline does not, suggesting a knockoff product and if it is i will get the RC brand.
What do you think?
You must be registered for see images attach

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to raise a van above stock height?
Because where i go camping and playing in the woods i need more ground clearance.
Actually im kinda worried about having a 2wd van but just no way to afford a 4wd high top van for camping so lifted 2wd high top will have to do.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Supercharged111 I actually have a set of 1990 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4 axles and don't think the thought has not crossed my mind:)

Most of the work i could do myself and have the ability to collect up the parts i would need. Problem is i don't know what exact parts i would need.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
One of the problems i have with this van is, It sits to low and i need to raise it.
Researching around and looking at Spindle lifts for a 1500 express van i can find a 4in lift listed from Trekline motorsports for $350.

Looking at GM at the spindle part number GM 18060573. It shows to interchange with several years of c1500 gm trucks so i started looking at Rough Country for anything that fits.
They do not list anything for a van, but they do for a 1996 c1500 2wd truck that is also on the interchange list for the original part number for $399.

Comparing pictures of the two company's offerings, Im wondering if Trekline is a knock off of RC. They look identical except RC has part numbers cast into them and Trekline does not, suggesting a knockoff product and if it is i will get the RC brand.
What do you think?
Those are definitely not from the same castings. Too many little differences. Is one a copy of another? Ehhh, only so many ways you can design a spindle. It's a $50 difference so I say go with your gut, though. I don't know anything about lift parts but I've "heard" RC isn't the greatest quality, however, I've never even heard of Trekline. Again my personal experience with lift stuff is basically zero. I lower 'em. Always. :)

And yeah, I've seen numerous references over the years that the vans share a lot of suspension parts with GMT400's, so you're probably on the right track there. Not sure of the specifics, maybe some of our van folk here know what's what.

Richard

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally the opposite for me. I have never lowered a vehicle. I don't even know how long it's been since the last 2wd i owned.
I dunno, my gut tells me they both are probably about the same quality.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got the defrost fixed now that winter is almost over. Turned out to be a bad vacuum actuator. PITA to get to.
Had to remove the passenger seat to have enough room to work under the dash but, Still way easier than removing a dash to replace blend doors on a PU.
Got the rear wheel bearings changed and when i took it apart it was totally obvious someone drove it with the emergency brake on at some point. Drums were baked and cracked, shoes were burnt and cracked and both wheel cylinders were leaking. All fixed now.
When i took the rear diff cover off naturally there was only about a pint of gear lube in it.
After driving it about a month the diff is starting to howl from about 25 mph to 60 then kinda quiets back down. Have an appointment Monday to get the rear diff rebuilt with new gears and bearings, seals. Also keeping the G80 locker. Never had a problem with one and I don't think i will either.
Got a pile of **** gathered for the interior build and next weekend i plan on starting getting that put together.
Here are a few pics of the ECU i took apart today and if you look close you can see what was wrong with it.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raining, so did not get the tuneup done. The 4 rear plugs you can change from the dog house the front 4 ill need to get from the front and i did not feel like getting cold and wet.
I did get the CMP set. Was -5 before adjustment. After adjustment it's a 0.

What is Start CLNT (F)_____48 ? The 2 wire temp sensor reading?
Temp outside was 37F according to my house thermometer.
The pic was taken cold before starting KOEO.

Hello Spareparts,

"Start CLNT (F)" is the way your Scan tool reports the ECT (VCM coolant temp sensor) that is
taken immediately after an engine Start is performed and stored.

It is later compared against the Start IAT (Intake Air Temperature) to see if certain diagnostics
will be allowed to run during this particular trip. (Evap and HO2S testing)

I outlined these stored settings in the '99 FSM:

NOTE: I included where these stored settings are used to help decide whether or not one of
the Evap tests should be run. (See attached.) So on 03 Feb there was a 11°F discrepancy
on a cold start. But on the 16th you installed a new ECM and this has fixed your Van.

Q: If possible, when it fits into your schedule could you show that same screen again? I would
be really interested if your ECT & IAT sensors are now in agreement post VCM replacement?

Also anyone know where i can grab a Manual for this 1999 Chevy Express van.

Looks like the paper version of the '99 G-Van FSM is a (4) volume set. After a
brief search I found a few complete sets on eBay - this looked to be a decent
value from a seller with a 100% rating:

(Here's the link to this auction: G-VAN (4) Volume Set)

NOTE: Given the heft of these books, that Free Shipping is a deal maker...I had to pay an additional
$25 shipping when I bought my own 4-volume set last year.

I'm sure that you could also find the .pdf version on a CD, and it might even be more affordable?

Best of luck with your van.

Safe travels --

Attachments

• ECT vs IAT variation limits for DTC operation (arrows) - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol....jpg
    ECT vs IAT variation limits for DTC operation (arrows) - 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol....jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: