Putting a Caprice engine (L05-7) into a 92 g30 van (has L80e trans)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This better?
This is a good indicator that I won’t need to go crazy with a new torque converter. They get expensive. I need to figure out how to keep the torque within reason (probably via the camshaft) if possible.
That is more in-line with what I would expect. The 80E in my Tahoe had a ~2,000 rpm (with ~300 ft/lbs @ 2,000) L31 style B82 converter in it. Behind an 8.1L cranking out 450-470 tq it stalled 2,700. 8.1L was making about 450-470 tq there.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually the putting the numbers through the calculator using what my L31 was stalling the B82, they are spot on for the 8.1L in the Tahoe. The converter behind my 383 in the Express was a strengthened B82 with s billet cover and a billet stator, stalls ~2,900 behind the 383 but it drives fairly stock at lighter throttle.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The B82 in the Tahoe drove relatively stock feeling too just driving around, but open that torque monster up and it would flash higher and go.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Intresting calculator, never had noticed it. The Turbski 400 converter in the 87 G20 stalled ~2,000 rpm behind the fairly weak L03 305 TBI. The 6.0L would flash stall it about 2,300 maybe 2,400 rpm if the engine was not heat soaked. Should stall a bit higher behind the modified L31. Torque values are a bit of an educated ball park guess. Still should be pretty close.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently many variables are at play. This is a doc on selecting Hays converters:

I could see some of that. The flash stall speed is directly related to engine torque and drag on the input shaft from vehicle weight, gearing, tire size, etc. That is why I have always stressed tuning to deliver maximum torque, best throttle response, smaller cfm vacuum secondary carbs or a Q-Jet, as much initial timing as the combination will tolerate, etc, the engine hits the converter harder and stalls it higher. However brake stall will always be a fixed number from the converter coupling efficiency, slippage vs engine torque.

Danboquist

Reaction score

“There are three common methods to gauge the stall speed characteristics of a torque converter. Footbrake stall is the maximum amount of engine RPM that can be achieved in a forward operating range with the brakes fully applied to prevent the vehicle from moving forward. Footbrake stall is not an accurate method of determining the true maximum stall speed of a torque converter. Furthermore, advertised stall speed ratings are not based on footbrake stall speed. Maximum static stall is the maximum amount of engine RPM that can be achieved in a forward operating range without generating any driveshaft motion. Maximum static stall can only be verified in a transbrake-equipped vehicle. Flash stall is the amount of engine RPM (or flash) that is observed upon initial acceleration under load. The easiest method for checking flash stall is to drive the vehicle at low speed in second or third range and immediately transition to wide open throttle. The RPM level that the engine immediately accelerates to is the flash stall. Flash stall speed is one of the most useful ways to truly gauge the stall speed characteristics of a torque converter and how those characteristics will influence the acceleration potential of a vehicle.”

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could probably get the launch down a bit better, but I seldom really romp on my old Express now days. I like it and do not want to tear it up. I foot braked it to maybe 2,000 rpm and sent it and then pedaled it and got back into it, lol. Its was 6,940 lbs on the scales with me and a full tank. So it was till probably 6,850 lbs in that clip. 31 gallon tank and it still has ~ 7-8 gallons left when the needle hits E. I find it funny that some people feel I was abusing it romping on it at under a 1/4 tank showing on the fuel gauge. My tank still had more in it than theirs holds and it came with a venturi bucket pump from GM that holds something like 1/2 gallon in the bucket.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Danboquist

Reaction score
I could probably get the launch down a bit better, but I seldom really romp on my old Express now days. I like it and do not want to tear it up. I foot braked it to maybe 2,000 rpm and sent it and then pedaled it and got back into it, lol. Its was 6,940 lbs on the scales with me and a full tank. So it was till probably 6,850 lbs in that clip. 31 gallon tank and it still has ~ 7-8 gallons left when the needle hits E. I find it funny that some people feel I was abusing it romping on it at under a 1/4 tank showing on the fuel gauge. My tank still had more in it than theirs holds and it came with a venturi bucket pump from GM that holds something like 1/2 gallon in the bucket.

Dang that is a heavy van.
This one might be good form flash stall..

Last edited: