GOT a van!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was up to a warm +7 today so i managed to get out and check the fuel pressure.
First pic is EOKO
Second pic is running.
You must be registered for see images attach

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spec is 55-62. It's a little low when running.
Not sure if 51psi would cause the cold start and wot problem or not. I don't believe 4psi low would cause that.
Im leaning to a bad temp sensor. The one the scanner reads seems to be working and reading like it should. Is there another temp sensor i should look for? Maybe an IAT? that tells the computer it's cold out.
Im not real familiar with the 5.7 Vortec so kinda going by experience.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Spec is 55-62. It's a little low when running.
Not sure if 51psi would cause the cold start and wot problem or not. I don't believe 4psi low would cause that.
Im leaning to a bad temp sensor. The one the scanner reads seems to be working and reading like it should. Is there another temp sensor i should look for? Maybe an IAT? that tells the computer it's cold out.
Im not real familiar with the 5.7 Vortec so kinda going by experience.

55-62 is gonna be the WOT/KOEO spec. Vacuum will pull it down from there. Time to look elsewhere for a problem. Does it hold pressure for any length of time?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 10 minutes KO, 0 pressure bleed off. When i stabbed the gas the FP did jump over 60PSI for a second when running.
Checking the CarFax records it was reported to have had a new fuel pump and filter installed in 2017 but that really does not mean much except it's lower on the bad list.
Im thinking it's a temp sensor.
The one feeding the dash gauge appears to be working fine.
When hooking up to a scanner is it reading the sensor in the head or front of the block?
Im betting the sensor on the front has failed. I admit when I looked at it, it was reading 167F on the scanner and i only looked once for just a second and it was not fully warmed up.
I do not know if a bad IAT would cause this.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Scanner won't read the sensor in the head. I'd do a little more data watching, see if it doesn't get up in the 195 range and see if your IATs are sane. Also let us know what the MAF is reporting for airflow.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the MAF last weekend and it did not look abnormal from what i remember it should read at idle. Seems like 4.8gs ish but i really can't remember for sure.
Ill try to get a look at it this week if i get the time.

Pic is a problem im sure most on here will recognize. Thats easy enough to fix but i wanna post all info in one spot.
Back side passenger head.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally warmed up a little, upper 30s so was able to get out and do a little work that needed to be done.
Changed oil/filter, fan belt, new air filter.
When i took the air box off to change the belt this is what i find. No air filter.
Also had the scanner hooked up to it just watching and looking at things and discovered my CMP is reading -5
Tomorrow i plan on changing the Plugs, Wires, Cap/Rotor and will adjust the CMP then.
1 more thing.
I think i have a bad ground wire. I have codes U1041 and U1192. Both codes mention a bad ground can cause this, so i assume thats going to be the problem as they both are intermittent and happen at the same time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Finally warmed up a little, upper 30s so was able to get out and do a little work that needed to be done.
When i took the air box off to change the belt this is what i find. No air filter.
Also had the scanner hooked up to it just watching and looking at things and discovered my CMP is reading -5
Tomorrow i plan on changing the Plugs, Wires, Cap/Rotor and will adjust the CMP then.
1 more thing.
I think i have a bad ground wire. I have codes U1041 and U1192. Both codes mention a bad ground can cause this, so i assume thats going to be the problem as they both are intermittent and happen at the same time.

I'm surprised it ran. My conical filter fell apart without me realizing it and the napkin was in there too. Thing would barely run if at all.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1 more thing.

I'm surprised it ran. My conical filter fell apart without me realizing it and the napkin was in there too. Thing would barely run if at all.

Nothing that MAF cleaner couldn't fix.....:rolleyes:

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly it ran great other than the WOT problem and that might be why, but i have not driven it yet. It's clean now and has a new Air Filter.
Supposed to be rain and windy today so probably not gonna get much done.
Side note: I have managed to get the interior mostly stripped for making this into a camping van.
All 3 of the big windows leak so i need to get that fixed before i can start covering things back up, but the weather is not allowing it to dry out enough to reseal anything.