Another Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I had 40 series on my old mustang, loved the sound.

Magna flow single in dual out muffler on truck when I bought it. worst sounding exhaust ever imo wasn't loud at all just sounded like crap.

and now current set up is a dynomax race bullet, but basically I would go flowmaster original 40's.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Flowmaster hands down.
I personally can't stand the sound of Magnaflows. They sound too much like glasspacks.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
I find magnaflows almost need to be tuned to get a good sound. The size of your pipe, weather or not you have cats, the length of the muffler and the in/out are all big factors with the magnaflow. A flowmaster (or drone master as I like to call them) is going to sound generally the same no matter what. If I were you, I would take it to your preferred exhaust shop and ask to hear your options. Most of them won't have a problem cutting out your old muffler and putting others in it's place so you can hear them before buying. Every setup is a little different, so to find out what you want on your truck, doing the above may be your best option [emoji4]

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
:lol: it's just what I've heard. They say they are loud, but don't drone like others.

Possibly, I assumed they would naturally drone cause they're so loud... A 10 series is definitely gonna be too loud for me though, I live in a fairly close residential area and I can't afford to be waking up my neighbors when I come home at 2 AM, like last night for example.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Funny, seems you guys are confirming a lot of what I was seeing on YouTube. And that's that Magnaflows sound great sometimes but iffy others... thoughts on the cause of this? Could it solely whether there are cats present on the vehicle?

As for Flowmasters, I'm just worried about the drone... seems to be a universally accepted thing that flowmasters are gonna drone - my flowmaster doesn't drone cause I have a 70 series muffler, which is just a step above stock.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Back farther under the bed and some sound deadening material will work wonders with drone. Dumps drone more than rear exits, so keep full pipes that exit completely from underneath the vehicle. Mufflers directly under the passenger compartment are going to drone more in cab due to the resonance and vibrations from the mufflers themselves. Thats why mufflers drone less on "muscle cars" because most are rear mounted away from the passenger area, but are generally a bit more higher pitched and raspy. The longer the pipes (while keeping a decent sized diameter) the deeper the tone. I've experimented with placement and outlet area and it seems to play a bigger role than you would think.

I would do just past the front of the bed with no smaller than 2.25" tail pipes.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I run a FM 50 series 2.25" dual in/dual out with full tail pipes and I get very minimal drone inside the cab.
I did have the FM mounted as close to the rear diff as possible.

A 40 series might be a different story though.