Question about Magnaflow High Flow cat on otherwise stock truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a '99 Suburban that I got for free in non-running condition. Fixed all of the mechanical issues and cosmetic issues, and part of that involved getting new catalytic converters. I went with a Walker cat that seemed decent. Anyway, about 6 months later, one of the cats is rattling inside (not heat shield), and truck sounds like a POS. Runs fine otherwise, I just can't stand the rattle. So I need to replace the cats again. Annoying, but is what it is. My question is, is there is significant performance benefit (or longevity benefit) to going with the Magnaflow high flow cats? It's about double the price, but I will go for it if you guys tell me it's worth it. My only experience with high flow cats is my 400 HP Civic Type R with a full 3 inch turbo-back exhaust and high flow cats, and it is so loud inside when accelerating that I would actually not be happy if it was my daily driver. Those of you that are running it, anything annoying about it? Noise, vibration, etc? This is my daily driver, and sometimes for the family when we need something larger and I don't feel like putting miles on my other cars. Thanks for your advice.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm on my second Magnaflow Y-pipe/cat assembly on my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L), and both have failed in the exact manner you describe. I'm just dealing with it for the moment on the second one. Granted this is on a V6 truck with a single cat so the 5.7L dual cat Magnaflow assemblies may be better, but I have not been impressed with part number 23457.

If and when I replace it again I'm thinking of trying the Flowmaster equivalent.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm on my second Magnaflow Y-pipe/cat assembly on my red truck ('97 C1500 4.3L), and both have failed in the exact manner you describe. I'm just dealing with it for the moment on the second one. Granted this is on a V6 truck with a single cat so the 5.7L dual cat Magnaflow assemblies may be better, but I have not been impressed with part number 23457.

If and when I replace it again I'm thinking of trying the Flowmaster equivalent.
Hmm, that's unfortunate. I don't want to spend $850 just to have the same problem again. It seems to have a 5 year warranty, but still. Thanks.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure the catalyst is not overheating (likely due to misfire or failed O2 sensors.)
Thanks, I think it's unlikely. No misfire codes (no codes at all actually), and all 4 O2 sensors were replaced when I did the cats the first time. Truck runs and drives fine. Is there another way to check for misfires? I have an advanced diagnostic tool.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IMO no benefit to the high flow on a stock application.

A while back one of the stock cats went bad on my '06 SS, rattling like crazy and finally blew into chunks so the exhaust sounded really dumb with one cat and one blown. Local performance exhaust shop welded in a universal fit Magnaflow for about $150. Can't beat that when the "direct fit" stuff is almost $800.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the high flow version comes with a 2.5" head pipe and the non-high flow has the weak @$s 1 7/8" head pipe then yes, it's worth it even on a bone stock application. Is there a difference in head pipe sizes here?