Time to replace stock exhaust on 97 K1500 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zelda

Reaction score
Hello all,
First of all, I'm rather green behind the ears and not very knowledgeable about exhaust systems. I own a 1997 Silverado K1500 Z71, 141" wheelbase, 3 door, with a brand new GM L31 replaced last year. Did some front end work (upper/lower ball joints, upper/lower control arm bushings, tie rods, idler arm & bracket, pitman arm, sway bar bushings, wheel hubs, and half shafts, pretty much all but the steering box and rag joint. I'm 62 now and am trying to drive this truck to my grave while keeping costs down. I don't need, nor can afford, a new truck or high end performance parts and do all I can myself rather than depending on shops. Having said that, a shop did my engine and I did the front end but for the alignment. I'm pretty happy with my stock OBS and drive gently.
To the best of my knowledge, the truck has stock dual exhaust system from manifolds to tail pipes, I'm guessing the system is original. I now hear exhaust leak coming from around the muffle area and have some holes in my exhaust tips (the tips might not be original, I wouldn't know). the dual tips exit to the rear on either side of my stock hitch assembly.
Time to work on the exhaust.
I'd like to retain the benefits of a dual exhaust from the cats back. So far so good on the cats and want to keep costs down. Would like to use stainless as it lasts longer. Don't need nor want a loud system. I don't think I can afford to buy OEM Chevy parts even if they are still available so will probably have to turn to the aftermarket.
A number of questions, please.
Did my truck come original with a dual exhaust setup (2 cats and 2 mufflers, dual exhaust "tips")?
Should I go with a single, X (or H?) type muffler (2 in and 2 out) or stick with dual mufflers? I don't know enough to discern the pros and cons.
Can you recommend a manufacturer based on which muffler setup you'd recommend? I have done some cursory looking and see that Hottexhaust.com has a Magnaflow 15750 that is a 2 into 1 into 2 cat back setup for $893 (w/ possible 20% discount right now). Should I be looking at Walker exhaust? If so, which Walker kit?
If not either of those then which manufacturer would best suit my needs?
Would I be OK using a bolt on system I do myself or should I just ultimately find a reputable local shop and have them weld their recommended system? Not sure if a bolt on system is as durable over the long run as what a shop might do.
Thanks in advance.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17363

This kit would be similar to what you have and bolt right up, and would be nice and quiet while still having a deep tone. It is, however, aluminized.

When I had my '98 Z71 ECSB(Extended Cab Short Bed), I Y'd the pipe together after the flush face flange post cats. Than ran a single 20" case Dynomax Ultraflow mufller (#17233) with a single 3" tailpipe in the stock location. One of the best setups I've ever ran for sound volume in and out of the cab and sound quality. Zero drone.

Not sure of the length of muffler on the Magnaflow system. The 14" unit will be a little louder. The 18" would be the shortest I would go with. But it would be a quality system.

For the money on the Magnaflow, if you had a good muffler shop in the area, they could put something together for you.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The #1 question on exhaust systems is "Can you weld?" If so, DIY. If not, I'd head over to the local cheap muffler shop with the guy who's been welding up exhausts since I was in diapers. The exhaust on my '69 Cadillac sounded like butt and rubbed on the driveshaft, so I went to a local shop. Come to find out, the previous shop had just clamped the exhaust together janky. They fully welded it and fixed everything. It only cost me $120 instead of replacing the whole system.

You're in San Antonio. I would worry as much about stainless over aluminized tubing.